Wheels out of alignment?

I owned a Z1 900 jaffa and I am sure they used Silly Putty in making the steering head they released a brace kit later as guys were throwing down the road to often lost a couple of mate and had a couple of scary tankslapers myself at up over the old ton (100mph) yup taught me a thing or two next bike was a Laverda Jota 180 degree crank (wish I still owned it), it was like chalk an cheese the Jota would go through corners at near twice the speed of the Z1 and hold a steady line:cool:

Had a mate following me to Bathurst one easter cruising at 160kph for 1200 klm. He asked me how the hell I hung onto it in big sweeping corners. My reply was you don't you have to let it do what it wants.

I used to have a slight problem with the bike pulling a hair to the right. Then when I elected to replace the Triumph paper thin motor guards with some that would actually provide some protection........voila! No more pull to the right. Clearly the loosening and re-tightening of the motor mounts had a positive effect.

He used some sort of laser thingyme

For your peace of mind I would suggest you get the Engine/Frame mount bolts checked or re-torqued mate and tell the MOT tester he's a bloody kill joy.

If they are using Lazer alignment to find slightly out .. your not going to be alone.:cool:

After coming back from a ride over the weekend I noticed after going through the garage and picking up dust from the floor that the contact patch on the front tire was of to the left by about 1/2 an inch, is that what you're talking about? that's what got my interest in this thread.
The bikes handling is ok although I do notice it tries to throw me off, to a certain extent, when pulling up at the lights.
Do you think it's something to be concerned about?

Thanks
Chuckster

After coming back from a ride over the weekend I noticed after going through the garage and picking up dust from the floor that the contact patch on the front tire was of to the left by about 1/2 an inch, is that what you're talking about? that's what got my interest in this thread.
The bikes handling is ok although I do notice it tries to throw me off, to a certain extent, when pulling up at the lights.
Do you think it's something to be concerned about?

Thanks
Chuckster

Chuck if its onya mind.. my advise is get it checked out now!!!
As for pulling up straight at lights make sure the tyre pressures are up and checked weekly as they leak and increase your approach speed slightly.. long wheel base is sometimes hard to check at slow speeds and the bike drops before ya feet are down,

JM2CW

I had a BMW K1200 they all have the back weel stepped out by about 25mm, its done to ballance the flat 4 engine coz the center of g on the engine is biased to one side so instead of making it stick out more on one side they moved the back wheel to balance it. Got to say it handled great, so you would only notice if you followed one.
Has Triumph done the same?? will go check mine, when I put it back togeather that is!

Pierre

I had a BMW K1200 they all have the back weel stepped out by about 25mm, its done to ballance the flat 4 engine coz the center of g on the engine is biased to one side so instead of making it stick out more on one side they moved the back wheel to balance it. Got to say it handled great, so you would only notice if you followed one.
Has Triumph done the same?? will go check mine, when I put it back togeather that is!

Pierre

I reckon thats it because the guy said he'd only seen it on R3's, Guzzi's and some BMW's.

Gonna be checking those motor mounts anyway this weekend

Back