What's the deal with Lush Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that backhandedly bashing Neville Lush is bad cricket, whether the strike was intended or not.

Might I suggest that you call Bob Carpenter, Rocketour, and since you seem to be capable of a DIY upgrade, see what he might have to offer that will suit your needs.
His engine upgrade kit produce usable power throughout the entire powerband, as our R3s really do not require any additional low end grunt, which, for most riders is simply not usable additional hp or torque over stock.

Between the two shops and experts, I'm certain that you'll find what you are looking for!

I have ridden a Rocket that Lushy modified (Ponters Roadster) .. an awesome increase in performance and rode as smoothly as a standard bike. I have also ridden a RIII with a hot cam but without the components/knowledge that Lushy put into Ponters bike .. was chalk and cheese as they say. Suggest you do your homework mate.

WOW! Jamie and CanberraR3! I don't want to start an international incedent here! I was looking for
options that make sense for my R3T. I think Carpenter covers those that want to drag race their
R3T's, but I don't. I don't need or want 230 HP. That's not what makes a touring bike great. I'm
looking for an all around drop in cam with broad power, no loss of reliability and I don't want to
have to pull the motor apart for high comp. pistons. Being half way around the world could prove
difficult, but I would like to see what's available. Are there any other cam options out there besides
these two sources?
Being halfway round the world has been no problem to Nev,I'm in the UK, over the past 5 years he has supplied me with four sets of different profile cams, oversize valves, pistons, other stuff & LOTS of help, encouragement & guidance.
I don't say this lightly but IMHO Nev is THE top man.

I tend to agree with the majority of posters. If ten people give a guy a thumbs up and one guy says
thumbs down, I will go with the ten. I've had a lot of hot rod motorcycles in my day and there's one
thing they all had in common. THEY BREAK! You can't double the power of an engine and not expect to
have to beef up the clutch and then the trani and then the ignition and then the bike will find something else
to break. Because my primary use for this bike is touring and pleasure riding, I don't feel the need to inpress anybody. I'm just thinking of a mild (reliable) as opposed to wild (going fast or on the lift in pieces)
bike. Plus I don't want a high temp, cranky, 1000 LB nut roaster on wheels. I want to be comfortable doing
300 to 400 mile days.

I agree that backhandedly bashing Neville Lush is bad cricket, whether the strike was intended or not.

Might I suggest that you call Bob Carpenter, Rocketour, and since you seem to be capable of a DIY upgrade, see what he might have to offer that will suit your needs.
His engine upgrade kit produce usable power throughout the entire powerband, as our R3s really do not require any additional low end grunt, which, for most riders is simply not usable additional hp or torque over stock.

Between the two shops and experts, I'm certain that you'll find what you are looking for!
Oh, don't get me wrong TriumPhil. I'm no Rocket mechanic. I just have a really cool dealer that would
install the cams for me. I'm thinking about cleaning up the ports and milling the heads with a dropin cam.
I have a good friend who used to build my heads when I roadraced back in the day. He'll do a great job
on the flow bench for me. I will mill the head per PowerTripp's recommendation and the cam. It should
provide great buckets of torque, still be civil - long term and be a hoot to ride. I don't do burnouts or
wheelies or dyno shootouts, so the "230 HP R3T" really isn't for me.
PLUS: I tour two up with my wife and by the time I finish loading up all of her **** on the bike, I will be
pulling a trailer for our actual luggage!

My 2 cents worth? Stay clear of Lush. He supplied me with wrong piston rings, drag strip-type cams as opposed to just "sporty" cams (on a parts exchange basis) and, worse yet, erroneous cam timing and cryptic e: tuning instructions. He of course eventually acknowledged the mishaps (dating back to 2009) in a gentleman-like fashion.

I hold NO grudge.

But my advice is: Stick to a local shop. Or "speed merchant". if there's one around.

Best. Jamie:cool:

My mechanic knew exactly what Nev's instructions were albeit they were cryptic to me.

I tend to agree with the majority of posters. If ten people give a guy a thumbs up and one guy says
thumbs down, I will go with the ten. I've had a lot of hot rod motorcycles in my day and there's one
thing they all had in common. THEY BREAK! You can't double the power of an engine and not expect to
have to beef up the clutch and then the trani and then the ignition and then the bike will find something else
to break. Because my primary use for this bike is touring and pleasure riding, I don't feel the need to inpress anybody. I'm just thinking of a mild (reliable) as opposed to wild (going fast or on the lift in pieces)
bike. Plus I don't want a high temp, cranky, 1000 LB nut roaster on wheels. I want to be comfortable doing
300 to 400 mile days.

Forget about high temp cranky nut roasters. If the job's done properly, the bike will be BETTER than OEM as far as flexibility and tractability are concerned. And very much better when - er - encouraged.

And one CAN have double the power - and in a few cases, considerably more (!) - without breaking, providing the upgrading includes sensible precautionary work.

Longest day I have done was 800 miles... and it wasn't the bike that quit!!! I also don't feel any need to impress anyone other than myself...

Just go for it. Have your wallet handy. :)

Hi Jamie, I did unfortunely ship you some pistons with the incorrect rings in the boxes. I wrongly assumed the rings would be correct as they came with the pistons. As you have alluded to I did "eventually" acknowledge this. After you point blank refused to take some simple measurements of the piston for me I shipped you another set of incorrect rings, expedited freight 3 days from Aust from memory. Then when they were wrong I got the correct rings shipped direct from JE in USA to you at no cost to you. The cams were to suit the compression, certainly not drag race cams, 360 lift etc. I did send you the lobe centres to set the cams at. Your "tuner" refused to use Tuneboy, so as to adjust ignition etc. I believe the biggest mistake I made was agreeing to sell you these parts for an engine with a basically stock exhaust. There was a mistake for sure, and I tried to fix it as soon and as best I could. Hi mr Rocket Tour, I have responded to your email, if you mill and port the head as described above your result with street cams will differ from what I have described in my response. If you told me you were going to port and mill the head, that email would have had a differnt comtent. Good luck to all with your endeavours and have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back