What RPM's do you ride at usually?

I have run across a lot of R3 riders that have complained about 'lack of engine braking'.

I believe this is due to the excessive torque.
Riders get used to the lower range of RPMs where things are relatively smooth.

They don't (as has been mentioned) see the need to crank it up....unless drag racing someone, maybe.

But the R3 turns into a wild beast in the upper ranges. Much more noise and vibration but that's where the real performance is and that's where the engine braking really gets significant.
True ? I seem to use my engine way more than the rear brake, only time i really use the rear is slow cornering maneuvers

I just ride it however I want or need at the time. Fuel economy couldn't be further from my mind. I fail to see the need to use higher revs in pretty much any "normal" situation but do sometimes (alright, a lot) like to give it a good twist at around 3500rpm. That's where my butt dyno gives the best readings. :D
Haha fuel economy isnt on my list of demands either mate, not after driving a XR6 Turbo 200klms a day 6 days a week for the past 6 months , riding the bike is saving me over $100 per week including reduced road tolls

60 mph @2100rpm+/_usually shift @3 to 3500rpm.on the highway run @35to 3700 in town try to keep gear low enough to twist and still have room to get around someone or get outta the way of some idiot pulling out in front of me (not that ever happens)but still have some "engine brake" to amazing machine even at hiway speeds in high gear give a twist it still has lots of sh*t left

I have run across a lot of R3 riders that have complained about 'lack of engine braking'.

I believe this is due to the excessive torque.
Riders get used to the lower range of RPMs where things are relatively smooth.

They don't (as has been mentioned) see the need to crank it up....unless drag racing someone, maybe.

But the R3 turns into a wild beast in the upper ranges. Much more noise and vibration but that's where the real performance is and that's where the engine braking really gets significant.

the 'low' engine braking on the r3 is a mix of 1) low compression; 2) big flywheel effect (heavy crank and flywheel); 3) engine management doesn't just shut off the fuel completely when you chop throttle... you get a lot more effect when spinning faster because them there physics say whoa faster...

the carpenter 240 probably has a bit more engine braking if you want that... it might be interesting to see what happens if you lightened up the crank and flywheel on one...

the carpenter 240 probably has a bit more engine braking if you want that... it might be interesting to see what happens if you lightened up the crank and flywheel on one...

According to Art @ Carpenter, it (more engine braking) is not noticeable. I happened to ask that question a few weeks back.

Honestly wouldn't have a clue .. too busy watching out for ***cwits in cars and coppers hiding behind bushes to be looking at the tacho... do know that riding across Tassie with the throttle working backwards I did find out just how hard my bike can rev.. was traumatic valve bouncing it like I was on quite a few occasions.

Honestly wouldn't have a clue .. too busy watching out for ***cwits in cars and coppers hiding behind bushes to be looking at the tacho... do know that riding across Tassie with the throttle working backwards I did find out just how hard my bike can rev.. was traumatic valve bouncing it like I was on quite a few occasions.
Unlike - Valve Bouncing

Back