What RPM's do you ride at usually?

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
Just curious as to how you people ride your bikes. Do you like to lug it at 1600 rpm everywhere you go, or do you typically keep it above 2500-3000rpm everywhere you go? I am not talking about aggressive riding but just wondering where people prefer to keep their RPMS while they ride. I usually keep it as low as possible to get the best gas mileage as possible but occasionally keep it a little higher for when I want to feel a little sporty.

The bike has so much torque that riding at a higher RPM doesn't seem like a necessary thing to do.

run her up to at least 3000rpm in each gear and pick a gear to stay in that range if its in the twisties... Down shift at around 1500rpms seems to work for me and my setup...
cruise between 3000-3500rpms on the open road...

I usually stay between 2000 and 3500 when puttering along. when I am on her I will run her up between 7000 and 8000 rpms and smack her hard. If I am making a point well I will peg the tach shift and hold the f*ck on :D

There ain't no "usually"....you ride it to do what you want to accomplish @ the moment.

Want to save $, keep it under 3G and be smooth.

Want to accelerate ASAP, crank down gears & wind it just shy of rev limiter.

Want engine braking, keep the RPMs high, 3,500 plus (sometimes way plus-depends on the situation.

Want to sneak out of the house, zero RPMs (coast down driveway) ;-)

I have run across a lot of R3 riders that have complained about 'lack of engine braking'.

I believe this is due to the excessive torque.
Riders get used to the lower range of RPMs where things are relatively smooth.

They don't (as has been mentioned) see the need to crank it up....unless drag racing someone, maybe.

But the R3 turns into a wild beast in the upper ranges. Much more noise and vibration but that's where the real performance is and that's where the engine braking really gets significant.

images

one MILLION rpm...

I just ride it however I want or need at the time. Fuel economy couldn't be further from my mind. I fail to see the need to use higher revs in pretty much any "normal" situation but do sometimes (alright, a lot) like to give it a good twist at around 3500rpm. That's where my butt dyno gives the best readings. :D

Back