What now? (bad idle and poor running)

@DEcosse helped me last year with trying to get it turned off and no code. Alain told him if I remember correctly was working on that or has fixed where you can turn off so you dont get a code. Maybe Ken will remember how.

Looking Good Man

To work and back today (no snow) without incident. I was betting on the the TPS but it turned out, pretty sure, to be the POS (stepper motor) - the appendix of the Rocket 3.

It took all of maybe 10 minutes to disable it. For those who may come later looking for details....
  1. Remove the tiny cotter pin from the stepper motor and the two washers. Remove the two screws that hold the stepper motor to the throttle bodies and the electrical connection. Slide the stepper motor off the shaft. Unscrew the small nut at the bottom of the SM and remove the linkage. Reinstall the SM with the two screws and reconnect the wires to the SM.
  2. Remove the number one K&N filter, or equivalent. There you’ll see a nut with yellow paint. Use a 7mm open end to loosen the locknut and a 2.5 hex to turn the bolt clockwise to establish the proper idle speed. Tighten the locknut.
  3. Life is good.
stepper.jpg

Original photo by @1K9

Now when it’s cold I will have to add some throttle before the bike warms up (back of wrist to forehead - Ronco commercial) o_O

Last edited:
i think it is great that it is running i do not recommend doing this.
however if u r going to
i know there r several who have done this so why wouldn't u just move that idle stop screw out to the position u want and not mess with the stepper motor at all?

i think it is great that it is running i do not recommend doing this.
however if u r going to
i know there r several who have done this so why wouldn't u just move that idle stop screw out to the position u want and not mess with the stepper motor at all?

Just following directions from others who have done it. The Stepper is trashed, so no need to worry about removing linkage- it's fast/easy and could be put back together if you wanted to, but why?

Looking Good Man

To work and back today (no snow) without incident. I was betting on the the TPS but it turned out, pretty sure, to be the POS (stepper motor) - the appendix of the Rocket 3.

It took all of maybe 10 minutes to disable it. For those who may come later looking for details....
  1. Remove the tiny cotter pin from the stepper motor and the two washers. Remove the two screws that hold the stepper motor to the throttle bodies and the electrical connection. Slide the stepper motor off the shaft. Unscrew the small nut at the bottom of the SM and remove the linkage. Reinstall the SM with the two screws and reconnect the wires to the SM.
  2. Remove the number one K&N filter, or equivalent. There you’ll see a nut with yellow paint. Use a 7mm open end to loosen the locknut and a 2.5 hex to turn the bolt clockwise to establish the proper idle speed. Tighten the locknut.
  3. Life is good.
stepper.jpg

Original photo by @1K9

Now when it’s cold I will have to add some throttle before the bike warms up (back of wrist to forehead - Ronco commercial) o_O

If you disable the stepper motor will the bike run and start just the same and as well as it did as per factory set up or is there any noticeable difference?

If you disable the stepper motor will the bike run and start just the same and as well as it did as per factory set up or is there any noticeable difference?
You have to set the idle, as I described above- really easy to do all this. On a cold day you have to add a little throttle to increase the RPMs as it warms up, then it's good to go.

Looking Good Man

It took all of maybe 10 minutes to disable it. For who may come later looking for details....
  3. Life is good.
stepper.jpg

Original photo by @1K9

Hey I recognize the 10 degree offset on that left wrist!!!! And it is not Ricks :D

Back