What now? (bad idle and poor running)

OK, As The World Turns continues...

Got home and cleaned up the stepper motor and reinstalled. Plugged it in too. Finished up putting the clutch switch back in. Went to start and no crank, no click- just lights, instruments. Turned off and tried again- started right up. Idles good. Blipping the throttle does not cause it to kill. I turned it off and restarted about five time- all good.

The stepper threw a P0505 Idle speed control system malfunction (or you could say that I did). I cleared it in TuneECU and did a reset adaptation. No codes. Starts and idles.

This all sounds great, but unless the clutch switch and/or the stepper motor could wreak all this havoc I figure this ain't over. We have snow moving in tonight and for the next several days. I'll at least go out and check to see if it will start every time, but taking it for a test ride could be a few days.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll keep ya' posted....

starter problem without click
could be clutch switch.
u can hold starter button in while working clutch handle letting it out easy to about 1/3 and then pulling it in.
also u can take a bare wire and just wrap it around the terminals on the switch(FOR TEST PURPOSE ONLY)

for starter button hold clutch in and hit button several times.
if the head lights come on do they go out when u hit the starter button?
could have a bad starter relay.
making SURE u r in neutral u can jump the starter solenoid by wire from solenoid to a battery source, this should get u to work while trying to solve the problem.

until u solve prob u can run a wire from the starter solenoid close to the positive batt post then just touch the wire to positive and the starter will crank of coarse the ign will have to be on. do not hold against batt post with finger. also make sure that wire does not touch anything as it then becomes hot when starter is engaged normal.

Yeah just checking its acting normal, when you were spraying wd 40 did you check gap on stepper wheel. The only reason im saying this is the stepper can be eliminated as the issue quickly as it can be unplugged and tune ecu fixed it on roadsters where you can turn off and get no code. Alain added this feature a while back but not for tourings yet.

Kevin- I didn't pay enough attention to this. I haven't notice where you can turn it off. I can look tomorrow, but if you know - let me know.

I've reinstalled it and plugged it back in for now. Do you advise to leave it installed and just unplug?

Most with bad ignition switches just report a no start condition, and I'm reaching but an almost bad switch?
Everything is suspect right now. I'm leaning more toward the clutch switch, but hard to know if when you wiggle something and it starts if that was it or if it would have started anyway. I cleaned that switch up and, for now, it's starting again. I think there is a start issue and another running issue (stepper motor, TPS, ???).

Kevin- I didn't pay enough attention to this. I haven't notice where you can turn it off. I can look tomorrow, but if you know - let me know.

I've reinstalled it and plugged it back in for now. Do you advise to leave it installed and just unplug?
I believe if you disconnect the wiring while running, it will set a code. Best way to disable is to remove the link connecting stepper motor to throttle linkage and leave wiring intact and connected.

i would leave it plugged in if there is a way to turn it off (with the ecu) that might be good.

Leave installed and just take loose the linkage. When you go to start use throttle to get warm and keep running. Then adjust screw (in) more than likely as mine went in and set to 950 and it should idle fine. And test ride. Once stepper is outted replace w new one if you wanna run it.

Back