What Have You Got In Your Tires??

One thing in Costco's favor, they have just about the lowest prices around on tires and they offer free lifetime rotation, balance, road hazzard warranty, patches, nitrogen fill up and don't forget the green valve stem caps. We have bought a few sets from them and have been very happy with their service.

I have an '01 F150 with 58,000 miles still with the original set of tires and it looks like I can squeeze some more miles out of them too, always filled with compressed air. Makes me wonder if a Goodyear Wrangler would fit on the rear of the Rocket.

No, but we all know an Eagle F1 will......:D

Just wondered if this would have helped my RV rotton tires? I have heard the best thing for a tire is to run them as this is the way a tire lubs itself....bikes cars rvs whatever?

Rubber wheels beats rubber heals everyday!!:roll::roll::roll:

Take a little bit of the money you got in difference on the trade between the econo-pirus and the Vipe and buy a set.............:)

I have probably changed out over 10,000 tires over the years and have never seen the inside if a tire rot due to anything. In fact, even very old tires look brand new on the inside. Some tires, that have been run under inflated, tend to sluff off rubber on the inside and that will sometimes roll up into little rubber balls. I've seen tires loaded with very corrosive "Fix a Flat" but once you clean that out, still look brand new.

Its a snake oil gimmic.... and it works doesn't it :D

I've changed about that number too, Tom, with the same results! I've seen the occasional tire half-filled with water, 'cause wherever they got their air from didn't have a line-dryer and didn't drain the condensation out of their compressor regularly, but that's about it!

And one with a 1/2" x 5" wood lag bolt in it...

And that's the best point anyone could have made:
Racing or really long-lived tires (industrial equipment, for instance) aside, one would never see the benefits of using nitrogen; the tire would wear out long before you could.

Stick with compressed air (preferably from a source that regularly services their compressor) and save your money for making that Rocket faster! Or prettier. Or both.

Bump
I am curious about this only because someone says the tire wont gain pressure when hot?
What do you think?
Gets pretty hot around here!

I am definitely of the opinion using Nitrogen in any road vehicle is purely a cynical marketing gimmick to grab more of our dollars.

It is used in Racing car tires as 1) its lighter than air and 2) its inert i.e. won't add fuel to a fire as air would.

Putting it in a R3 or a Prius' tires will not make any noticable improvement to acceleration or MPG. The only thing that will be much lighter will be your wallet.

Nitrogen in a street tire is a total waste of money. It's like running 106 octane in a street car with a low compression engine, total pissing away of money.

Back