What happens when you over tighten the oil drain plugs?

Loanstar

.060 Over
This! Fortunately, the drain bolts cracked up to the threads but not into them. Close call. I can't find a decent torque wrench anywhere nearby. If anyone has a suggestion online, it's time that I buy one.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Well I did my own oil change for the first time couple weeks ago. Before I took on the task at hand I tried ordering new seal rings that go on the oil plugs. I couldn't find them looking on Bike Bandit OEM part list. I saw something that looked like them but my Roadster is made different than what was on Bike Bandit. So I didn't get them. Did the oil change and after a couple days I noticed a drip of oil on my garage floor. Thought it could have been residue from the oil change but I cleaned it very good. So.... I tightened the plug a tad more and no more oil leak. I have a torque wrench but I don't have the proper tool to go on it to fit the plug. I will however take care of that soon. I will now go and see if I took cracked mine. lol

Oh and if anyone knows the proper part number for those seal rings please post them. The manual says to replace those rings with new ones upon changing the oil.

Well I did my own oil change for the first time couple weeks ago. Before I took on the task at hand I tried ordering new seal rings that go on the oil plugs. I couldn't find them looking on Bike Bandit OEM part list. I saw something that looked like them but my Roadster is made different than what was on Bike Bandit. So I didn't get them. Did the oil change and after a couple days I noticed a drip of oil on my garage floor. Thought it could have been residue from the oil change but I cleaned it very good. So.... I tightened the plug a tad more and no more oil leak. I have a torque wrench but I don't have the proper tool to go on it to fit the plug. I will however take care of that soon. I will now go and see if I took cracked mine. lol

Oh and if anyone knows the proper part number for those seal rings please post them. The manual says to replace those rings with new ones upon changing the oil.

Mully, I use a 8mm allen key(gently) to remove the sump bolts ,I have turned up a 8mm adapter on the lathe just using an short piece of allen key then use 8mm x 3/8drive socket for the torque wrench , I am sure you could buy an adapter, but I like tinkering in my shed making my own tools, on alloy threads I always go on the low side of recommended torque figures its easier to nip up a thread for leaks than repair a stripped one

I had one that wouldn't stop leaking, even with new washers. Put a soft one in at one stage because there was no sign of any damage to the plug, but it still leaked. Not much but enough to leave a drop every few days. You can still see where I was parking! Replaced the plug and no more leak. Temptation was to try to tighten it further; fortunately I never went too far. New plugs worth the investment and a orque wrench a must.

Back