What happened here?

to much back brake then to much front brake.
he should have been light on the rear brake and some what heavy on the front and then make the judgement if he is able to stop and if not he had plenty of space to go to the left of that car and slow with out hitting the car or dropping the bike. i think that every one should practice stopping. i quit riding for years and that was one of my relearning jobs was to pick a spot in the road then safely stop the bike and keep stopping a little faster till i learned what i could do and what the bike could do.
and if u get to thinking about your pretty wife waiting on u just remember $hit happens.:banghead:

he should have stayed on the rear brake, turned into the skid and brake heavily with the front after she straightened out. He must have let off on the rear brake after the bike started to come around on him, thus the high side fall. An awful lot to do and think about in couple of seconds but could have been done.

Always use 70% front brake 30% rear. I wonder if the bike had ABS? It doesn't seem like it with the rear tire sliding.

This is a good video of an inexperienced rider, the video shows everything and the front brake had nothing to do with it, as you can see he stamped on the rear brake causing a rear wheel skid what he should have done is kept the rear wheel locked at the worst he would have had a low-side crash instead of the dreaded high side crash.
When your rear wheel is not aligned with the front wheel during a rear wheel skid keep the rear wheel locked, you can be built like MrSteel:D but you will not hold on in a high side crash

to much back brake then to much front brake.
he should have been light on the rear brake and some what heavy on the front and then make the judgement if he is able to stop and if not he had plenty of space to go to the left of that car and slow with out hitting the car or dropping the bike. i think that every one should practice stopping. i quit riding for years and that was one of my relearning jobs was to pick a spot in the road then safely stop the bike and keep stopping a little faster till i learned what i could do and what the bike could do.
and if u get to thinking about your pretty wife waiting on u just remember $hit happens.:banghead:

A perfect example of too much bike not enough rider ,inexperience is unavoidable and a big problem , I agree he would have been better to wash off some of his speed then just go up the inside ,in these situations the best option is to brake sensibly then drive around the hazard if you cannot stop, My R3T is the first bike I have had with ABS ,and in situations like this the rear or front will obviously behave differently ,I have tried out a crash stop at 90Kph and was impressed how smooth it was

I think you guys are missing the obvious, maybe because you are blinded by semi-hatred towards Harleys; especially Sportsters.
If you observe his body language, one can tell this rider doesn’t appreciate his machine. He looks distracted (maybe texting or going over his list of diabolical schemes to take over the free world); in any case he doesn’t notice the cages are on the road till they slow in front of him. When he realizes his mistake, he takes it out on his bike. Well, being a Sportster, a life form accustomed to be picked on relentlessly by almost all others, the bike says enough of this crap! It not only rejects the riders authority by tossing him off, it comes back and hits him two more times before stopping to let it all sink in. The lesson learned here is; don’t be rude to your bike, especially one that is sick and tired of being harassed!

Yep, I remember the first time I rode a motorcycle :rolleyes: Well at least now when he and his Harley buddies are sitting around reminiscing about their last big 30 mile ride, he can tell them about the time he had to "lay er down".

Last edited:
First road bike I rode was a katana 1100, took off down the road and hit the rear brakes to slowdown - big mistake and lucky I didn't drop it. Prior to that I spent years riding in sand and mud on a dirt bike ( front brake never used)

Back