What happened here?

Me thinks he grabbed rear brake only, locking it up.
He also attempted to veer left, which sent the skidding rear wheel out to his right, counterclockwise.
When he let off the rear brake, heading for the Jersey barrier, the tire regained traction.
This equals HIGH SIDE!
ABS likely would have helped in this case, as it allows better lateral transition while braking.
I personally prefer to ride in the right wheel track in the leftmost lane to gain more maneuver room to the left, if needed.
Hello Bull, I have a different tactic that counters your right tire track idea. Usually when I am in the left lane, there is a descent shoulder to the left and a hundred cages to the right. I try to stay in the left tire track in case I have to bail left; I have less distance to travel thus won’t take as long to escape than I would if I were in the right tire track. If I am in the right track, my first idea is veer right in an emergency which may be a riskier option but going left from here requires a harder cut if I am close to the car in front.

I acknowledge that keeping a safe distance between any vehicles is paramount to safe actions in an emergency. But trying to keep that distant is almost impossible on most freeways as the driver society likes to be close to their fellow commuters. I also believe that on a motorcycle, emergency braking at freeway speed has to be as straight forward as possible to avoid the rough get offs we see, and when we try to turn while hard braking is increasing that risk. Staying alert to lane changers in front of us and brake lights far ahead is key to surviving mass cager commutes.

[QUOTE ="Boog, post: 355314, member: 5015"]Hello Bull, I have a different tactic that counters your right tire track idea.[\QUOTE]

Appreciate the comment, Amigo. Please allow me to respond.
Don't forget the sight distance of the vehicles in front of you.
When you ride in the left track of the left most lane, you are directly behind the driver of the vehicle in front which is more difficult for him/her to see.
More important you are in the blind spot of vehicles in the adjacent lane who can unexpectedly move into your lane.
Additionally, you have no command of both your lane and the adjacent lane which eliminates the ability to quickly and safely make lane changes and prevent aggressive cage drivers from trying to squeeze into your lane.

Last edited:

Brother Bull, it is hard to debate this with an accident scene investigator, but I'm stubborn and don't back down too easily.
I have been taught from several MSF folks that being directly behind the driver is where one is most easily seen because they have their left side mirror and rear view aimed at me. I know it is easier for the cage driver to turn right and see someone at their 4-5 o’clock, but I usually don’t see people do that anymore.
Here in VA, swerving right is risky due to that being more of a passing lane than the left one is. Granted, swerving into the shoulder on any side presents its own risks but usually not a speeding car.

Note: I am primarily addressing highway travel with two or more lanes in your direction.
Maintaining command of your lane therby preventing cages from encroaching is paramount to me.
Remaining vigilant to cages at 360 ° is paramount.
I've inserted comments into your post for better clarity.

Brother Bull, it is hard to debate this with an accident scene investigator, but I'm stubborn and don't back down too easily.
I have been taught from several MSF folks that being directly behind the driver is where one is most easily seen because they have their left side mirror and rear view aimed at me. TRUE IF YOU ARE CLOSE BEHIND ANOTHER CAR
I know it is easier for the cage driver to turn right and see someone at their 4-5 o’clock, but I usually don’t see people do that anymore. PROVIDES BETTER VISIBILITY FOR BOTH THE CARS DIRECTLY IN FRONT AND THOSE TO THE RIGHT
Here in VA, swerving right is risky due to that being more of a passing lane than the left one is. STRANGE - I HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD THIS BEFORE Granted, swerving into the shoulder on any side presents its own risks but usually not a speeding car. YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF ALL CARS OVERTAKING AND APPROACHING FROM YOUR REAR

IMHO, this fellow has a good grasp of what I believe:

I think situational awareness is key. Whenever possible I ride in the "blocking" position rather than the left part of the lane on any multi lane road. This would be the left part of a lane if it is the right lane and the right part if it is a left lane avoiding the centre lane as you are vulnerable from both sides. If I see a car attempting a left turn in front of me I tend to move around in my lane to avoid the SMIDSY. The Greater Toronto area has lots of really bad, ignorant, careless, aggressive drivers and a few times I have been pushed out of my lane by impatient drivers. Trying to be aware so that you know where your "out " is can make all the difference. Being able to swerve away from an encroaching vehicle without needing to check your mirrors or do a head check can literally save your life. I now live outside of Toronto and avoid it on my bike when possible but when in heavy traffic I try to be extra vigilant. I think the rider in OlBull's vid has it mostly right though he might be taken a bit more seriously if he wasn't wearing shorts and runners.

Note: I am primarily addressing highway travel with two or more lanes in your direction.
Maintaining command of your lane therby preventing cages from encroaching is paramount to me.
Remaining vigilant to cages at 360 ° is paramount.
I've inserted comments into your post for better clarity.

IMHO, this fellow has a good grasp of what I believe:

I tend to agree with the things this fellow says too. I disagree on the idea of tying to block a cager by riding the right track of the left most lanes. I feel one has more time to react if you are not next to the car coming into your lane. Lane blocking does not work in DC area traffic. Law of tonnage prevails at sea and when a car meets a motorcycle. Being able to slow or speed up is the best defense around here IMHO.
As for the right side being the passing lane, I recently wrote to VDOT about the problem of local freeways here where people seem to camp out in the left lane and do not pull back to the right after passing a slower driver. I for one tend to ride slightly quicker than the herd and find that to maintain my desired speed, I must pass on the right because people either do not care about the law or do not realize they are in the left lane blocking faster vehicles. I asked VDOT to put up signs to reminding drivers that slower traffic is to keep right. VDOT responded that they will look into the issue. Two months later, still no signs and still more people pass on the right than the left.
Now about the rider in your video, next episode, will he address the safest type of riding shorts?

I tend to agree with the things this fellow says too. I disagree on the idea of tying to block a cager by riding the right track of the left most lanes. I feel one has more time to react if you are not next to the car coming into your lane. Lane blocking does not work in DC area traffic. Law of tonnage prevails at sea and when a car meets a motorcycle. Being able to slow or speed up is the best defense around here IMHO.
As for the right side being the passing lane, I recently wrote to VDOT about the problem of local freeways here where people seem to camp out in the left lane and do not pull back to the right after passing a slower driver. I for one tend to ride slightly quicker than the herd and find that to maintain my desired speed, I must pass on the right because people either do not care about the law or do not realize they are in the left lane blocking faster vehicles. I asked VDOT to put up signs to reminding drivers that slower traffic is to keep right. VDOT responded that they will look into the issue. Two months later, still no signs and still more people pass on the right than the left.
Now about the rider in your video, next episode, will he address the safest type of riding shorts?

Out here we have many "left lane for passing" signs.
Not too rigidly enforced but does authorize the use of a high beam flick or a horn tap . . . . EWWWWW that reminds me that I have a good way to test my new Stebel Horn!!! :eek: :thumbsup:

Back