What gear to have everyday and on long trips.

KnightRider

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket 3
As I work to get a bike to have some trips with my wife, I am wanting to get a good idea of everyday must have gear and long trip must have gear for keeping on the motorcycle.
Thanks

A lot is gonna depend on "when and where?". Obviously, a couple of weeks in the mountains will require different gear than an afternoon ride through the Texas Hill Country. Also, how mechanically inclined are you..ie, are you comfortable doing minor roadside repairs?

I'm an ATGATT kinda guy, so I'll focus on stuff I carry on the bike itself.

My EDC consists of rain gear, a GOOD flashlight, bottled water, granola bars, small first aid kit, phone charger, can of tire slime/inflator (make sure you get the one with a long hose) spare bulbs, relays and fuses and a modest tool kit (I leave the Triumph tool kit in the garage...almost usless on the side of the road).

As you work on the bike or modify/add things, keep in mind which tools you use the most. I keep these in a canvas tool roll-up...adjust as you see fit.

The longer the excursion, the more planning should be involved. I like to have a Plan A, B & C. I usually start with Plan B...saves time and frustration. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

All good comments mentioned here so far. Other than clothing gear, I try to focus on the simple things I could fix on the road. I think about the little things that might happen to my bike and try to prepare for that. I am mindful of the fact that unlike some other bikes, there is not a dealer for parts and repairs located about every 30 miles away. Anything major, call your good road service company.

I have a copy of the pdf service manual on my phone and a good image of the electrical circuit if you are comfortable with that. How about the android Tuneecu and a bluetooth OBD device for checking codes if you get one. You might also consider an extra throttle grip, a front disc lock, a spare throttle and clutch cable, a short length of electrical wire and scotchlok connectors, some lengths of electrical tape I have rolled around the circumference of a dowel rod and a compact multimeter.

What it boils down to on parts is.....I can replace a relay, replace a cable, replace a grip, clear a code, bypass a switch, and try to fix a simple flat. Anything else, I'm stuck.

Some may see all this stuff as overkill, but remember...it also puts you in a better position to help someone else that may be stranded.

You make a good point. When I ride with a group they often turn to me if they need a tool to work on their bike. I'm sure none of them carry things to plug and air up a tire as I do. The down side is...most of what I carry is metric and if it is a Harley or Polaris product (which is what most ride) Well, I'm not so sure.

Oh...I forgot to mention a good selection of fuses.

Back