What size are these pirelli night dragons you’re running

I was running a 165 rear and 130 front tire, I went with a narrow profile in order to increase my tire height, made the bike more responsive in deep turns, and made dropping the front end in much easier

Same problem here with commander 2,running 42 psi,spin up in wet badly even at modest throttle and slip on wet corners and painted lines,on r3t with or without trailer.

Hello @Tracy and welcome from Virginia. Thanks for your input here. I see this is your first post on the forum, please go to the "Introductions" thread and tell us more about your riding past and your current R3T. Oh, and pictures there too, we are a visual lot. ;)

Back to the Commander IIs, I have been reading a lot about them on the Star forum especially for the Stratoliner I just took possession of. Most there seem to think they are the best tire for that bike and I have not read anything about the tire loosing traction on wet pavement. I put the Bridgestone Exedra Max on my Stratoliner (Yamato) as they have served me well on Brahma for 70K+ miles now. I will write a report on them with Yamato once I have a few thousand miles on them with that bike.

The Commander IIIs are out now with rave reviews from the Star crowd but no one there has more than a thousand miles that has reported anything. From what is read, the C-IIIs should have even longer life. That oftentimes means less traction but not always. I do what to keep following such news as long life and traction on wet roads is vital to my lifestyle. I get around 13K miles on a set of Exedra maxes, more would be awesome...

I have had two Pirelli Night Dragons on the front of mine, they have been a pretty good tyre got about 15ks off each pretty hard wearing and sticky but like all tyres once the tread gets down they can get a bit squirelly in the wet. I have just got a Avon Cobra Crome fitted we'll see how that goes...

Attachments

• 20200724_090919.jpg
    20200724_090919.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I live on the west coast and ride a lot in the rain. I’m using exedra Max tires on my touring, second set and have had no issues so far. I’ll be getting another set when these wear. I like them in the rain.

Sorry for another tyre [tire] thread but a search didn't bring up any information.
Michelin Commander II's
Anyone running these on R3 Touring & have problems when damp?
I've had the arse step out accelerating top gear overtaking 2 up around 80kmph.
Backed off hit it again & same thing, just a bit of sphincter pucker.
Recently while towing trailer 2 up stepped out in top again around same speed
taking off camber right hand sweep in damp, high siding the lot into ditch on side of road, totaling bike etc.
Maybe both times not enough rain to wash off road debris but luck shouldn't come into it.
These tyres give unreal mileage, 16k rear still 4mm min tread, but not worth an accident. Anyone have experience with these tyres ?
Let's hear what you use & your experience.
I just purchased a 2014 R3T with michelin commander II's on the rear. I have a steep driveway an started up it in rainy weather last week. Started spinnin the rear tire and trying to keep ram's as low as possible to maximize traction and minimize spin I was able to move forward a few more feet before traction disappeared and it started sliding backward. All I could think of was to angle it off the cement into the grass and keep my fingers x'd. It worked. I didn't drop it! Spooky! I've lived here for years and never lost traction in any weather. I usually run ExcedraMax or Avon Cobras. I can't wait to get that horrid tire OFF!! Most people won't do a wet test like my rather extreme driveway provides but that tire was breaking loose in other dry flat conditions too. Though to be fair it may have been partly my right wrist ;)
Bottom line, I have no wet weather faith in the commander II.

Chocked the wheels and got help after it dried out a bit.

Attachments

• 20200723_103651.jpg
    20200723_103651.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200723_093901.jpg
    20200723_093901.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 11
What size are these pirelli night dragons you’re running
A few years back I had a C109 that I tried the night dragons out in. Wow they felt awesome and gripped like rock climbing shoes on a shear granite wall! The down side was they wore out faster than any tires I'd ever run. Seems I keep going back to the excedra max's (avon's too, flip a coin) Just really good all round balance of grip mileage wet dry performance tires. I love my R3T but I have really fond memories of my C109 ... I'm sure I sniffles a little when it was sold and picked up.

Attachments

• 20150727_140930.jpg
    20150727_140930.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 6
A few years back I had a C109 that I tried the night dragons out in. Wow they felt awesome and gripped like rock climbing shoes on a shear granite wall! The down side was they wore out faster than any tires I'd ever run. Seems I keep going back to the excedra max's (avon's too, flip a coin) Just really good all round balance of grip mileage wet dry performance tires. I love my R3T but I have really fond memories of my C109 ... I'm sure I sniffles a little when it was sold and picked up.
I just purchased a night gragon 180/70/16 but nothing available for front so im sticking with the exedra max up front, its been battle tested so i feel confident in that for front, yeah if i get 3 to 4 thousand out of the night dragon im ok with that i want grip max grip, taking off a 200 cobra chrome that only held up 4000 miles, pressure determines alot on life, aired up real good last longer but less grip, run say 36 better grip but shorter life. I think im gonna really like this night dragon for the rest of this year ;) Or about 3 grand whatever comes first

I just purchased a 2014 R3T with michelin commander II's on the rear. I have a steep driveway an started up it in rainy weather last week. Started spinnin the rear tire and trying to keep ram's as low as possible to maximize traction and minimize spin I was able to move forward a few more feet before traction disappeared and it started sliding backward. All I could think of was to angle it off the cement into the grass and keep my fingers x'd. It worked. I didn't drop it! Spooky! I've lived here for years and never lost traction in any weather. I usually run ExcedraMax or Avon Cobras. I can't wait to get that horrid tire OFF!! Most people won't do a wet test like my rather extreme driveway provides but that tire was breaking loose in other dry flat conditions too. Though to be fair it may have been partly my right wrist ;)
Bottom line, I have no wet weather faith in the commander II.
Just curious what is the psi in that tire.

Back