Jeffro

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 T
Sorry for another tyre [tire] thread but a search didn't bring up any information.
Michelin Commander II's
Anyone running these on R3 Touring & have problems when damp?
I've had the arse step out accelerating top gear overtaking 2 up around 80kmph.
Backed off hit it again & same thing, just a bit of sphincter pucker.
Recently while towing trailer 2 up stepped out in top again around same speed
taking off camber right hand sweep in damp, high siding the lot into ditch on side of road, totaling bike etc.
Maybe both times not enough rain to wash off road debris but luck shouldn't come into it.
These tyres give unreal mileage, 16k rear still 4mm min tread, but not worth an accident. Anyone have experience with these tyres ?
Let's hear what you use & your experience.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I've not really heard much about the Commander II's wet performance and the little I have heard was mostly positive. Michelins are usually quite good in the rain, they manufacture pretty much the pinnacle of wet weather tires in the Pilot Road series. I do wonder if there was perhaps contaminant on the road leading to the crash.

Your unfortunate event is exactly why I stopped riding in the rain if I can avoid it. The R3 can and does have enough torque to break any tire loose in the wet.

Hope you and the pillion are ok.

I’ve been running Commander ll’sfor a while Not had any problems in the rain.

Sorry for another tyre [tire] thread but a search didn't bring up any information.
Michelin Commander II's
Anyone running these on R3 Touring & have problems when damp?
I've had the arse step out accelerating top gear overtaking 2 up around 80kmph.
Backed off hit it again & same thing, just a bit of sphincter pucker.
Recently while towing trailer 2 up stepped out in top again around same speed
taking off camber right hand sweep in damp, high siding the lot into ditch on side of road, totaling bike etc.
Maybe both times not enough rain to wash off road debris but luck shouldn't come into it.
These tyres give unreal mileage, 16k rear still 4mm min tread, but not worth an accident. Anyone have experience with these tyres ?
Let's hear what you use & your experience.

Given your towing set-up is there a chance the rear suspension is compromising adhesion?

I have run Commander II's on my Virago, and Harley, and put myself into some pretty stupid situations in the rain with them, and they have stuck it no problem, even when low enough in corner to expect the inevitable slide out, but never happened, they have been great on those bikes. Right now i'm trying out the Pirelli Night Dragons, on dry pavement, I would swear these things are coated in gorilla glue, The grab was fantastic, been caught in the rain a few times, and I have found that you go gentle on the throttle, or the back end is going to spin up. I don't think it is totally the fault of the tire, this thing is dropping enough torque that it is pretty easy to break a tire loose even on dry, (it is great watching peoples faces drop when you do that, not so good on tire life though)

On my 2010 touring I ran the Dunlop 251 D. Great in the wet. Expensive. Handle great when new, but like all of them, it handles like a darkside when worn

when riding in the wet, I never lean over more than 10 degrees or so. I just don't trust the grip in the wet. having said that, how far over do you guys lean in the wet? I know that race tires will stick, but they only last 500 miles they're so soft. what about regular tires? you guys lean over a lot with regulars? it kind of freaks me out to lean in the rain.
and I've got 200,000 miles on bikes, never lean them in the rain. just scares the **** out of me.

I have run Commander II's on my Virago, and Harley, and put myself into some pretty stupid situations in the rain with them, and they have stuck it no problem, even when low enough in corner to expect the inevitable slide out, but never happened, they have been great on those bikes. Right now i'm trying out the Pirelli Night Dragons, on dry pavement, I would swear these things are coated in gorilla glue, The grab was fantastic, been caught in the rain a few times, and I have found that you go gentle on the throttle, or the back end is going to spin up. I don't think it is totally the fault of the tire, this thing is dropping enough torque that it is pretty easy to break a tire loose even on dry, (it is great watching peoples faces drop when you do that, not so good on tire life though)
What size are these pirelli night dragons you’re running

when riding in the wet, I never lean over more than 10 degrees or so. I just don't trust the grip in the wet. having said that, how far over do you guys lean in the wet? I know that race tires will stick, but they only last 500 miles they're so soft. what about regular tires? you guys lean over a lot with regulars? it kind of freaks me out to lean in the rain.
and I've got 200,000 miles on bikes, never lean them in the rain. just scares the **** out of me.

I'm the same way, anything I've ever had was fine in the rain, I have no interest in finding out how much grip in the rain, lol, cuz there's only one way to find out.

Back