Well, the day started out $hitty

SO you have one of the first ROCKETS that needed the update kit was the service done ?

Yep. Mines an 05'. It had 16,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2009. The update had been already been done, but not sure exactly when. Actually the update had been half done. A lot of the stuff that came in the update kit I bought, was not installed on my bike. I don't believe they did anything with the torsional damper which is why mine failed. Also when they replaced my second gear, they had all the clips installed the wrong direction, which ultimately lead to my tranny disintegrating. What I've done to my tranny now might seem like over kill for a stock motor, but I hate being stranded. When the trans f'ed up on my old ElectraGlide it got replaced with a billet case and all Andrews gears, shafts, shift forks etc. All for a 50 hp engine. I tend to use a belt and suspenders when I have a problem.

Last edited:
Fred you are on a pedestal along side BigErn most members will have not even heard of Bigern but I believe many years ago he was one of the first to split the engine and put it back together with no left over parts.:D

Aw shucks you guys......
blushing-emoticon-4.jpg

Wilst I had it apart I replaced the detent mechanism which should have been done when the update kit was installed years ago. It has a smaller wheel so it acts differently on the selector. It requires slightly more pressure on the shifter but it snaps into the next gear. The dogs don't get as much time to clash with each other. Makes the trans feel more like a Japanese bike.
IMG_20170812_161439531.jpg

Back