Weird speedometer issue

Stevepaff

.020 Over
Ride
2005 R3 classic
OK guys. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I've searched everywhere and getting nowhere.

So yesterday I switched the bike on and the tach did the normal sweep but the speedo swept all the way round and comes to a rest in random spots.
Most of the time at 220kph, I know I'm not going that fast in the garage.
Took the bike out and the needle slowly drops to 0 as I travel.

Someone suggested it could be an instrument error, but at over $700 for a new one I want to investigate anything that could cause this as well.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Already disconnected the battery for 2 hours as someone suggested that might help and I figured as its a free thing to try I couldn't see any harm in it.
The bike still rides fine and the trip counter goes up.
Cheers
I have a video of it but can't seem to upload it.

I would start by taking a GOOD look at all connectors. But sadly there is a serious possibility that the speedo is toast. As owner of a pre-canbus R3 - you do have the opportunity to fit aftermarket instruments.

Cheers Mate.
I've pretty much reserved myself to the idea that the speedometer is toast altho I'll check all connectors if I can tomorrow.
If that does not fix the issue I'm definatly going to look into changing the whole setup to a digital gauge of somekind. Don't suppose you know of any reasonably priced ones that are around. Even better if they are direct plug and play.
I've always had stock clocks on all my bikes so this will be a new thing for me to do and the easier the better.

I've got the video up on my facebook, not sure if it will work tho.
Cheers.

I had a speedo unit go and was lucky to find a set for £250 (after buying another duff set and having to get my money back). My speedo would work randomly or not at all and once they're gone there's no fixing them apparently - there are some nice aftermarket set-ups out there that I would definitely go for next time.

Cheers Coppa, definatly worth looking into but I hate wiring lol, shame theres no plug and play versions out there.
Barbagris. What do you mean by the speedo test?

What do you mean by the speedo test?
I think Scott is refering to Tests - It's shown as Tachometer Test in the tests table.

A note: Whilst you may find places that are cheaper - Jon at Digital Speedos in the UK has a big and varied range from several manufacturers. And distinguishes between Car and M/C - many car gauges are far from being even shower proof. I always use his web to see what is about before looking elsewhere. In the UK I would buy from him - but post from UK to Spain often pushes the price too far.

I go through his web at least once a month - just looked and he has some very tidy new KOSO stuff. Neat matching set of Voltmeter and Temp gauges. 40mm OD.

If you want something tough, reliable and (for EU folk) without problems at TüV, ITV, MoT etc - Then Motogadget stuff is used by many workshops. It works.

Note that MotoGadget does have a TRIUMPH CANBUS ADAPTER BOX. The R3 is NOT listed on the compatibility list - BUT maybe @DEcosse can take a look here and see if the listed vehicles are R3-CANBUS similar. Ken - in the pictures here this is a picture of the rear connector block msp Breakout Box Triumph

Last edited:
Cheers mate. I ran out today and got a GPS speedometer and temporarily wired that up so at least I can keep going while I work it all out.

Think I'm going to get something like the Dakota clocks and a new plug so I can try wiring it all up for plug and play straight to the stock loom.

Not sure how quickly I'll get it done tho.

Only one thing. Wasn't the canbus added a little later and on the roadster. From what I gather and info from others my 05 model should work without an adapter (but cannot run roadster clocks).
Problem with ordering UK stock is the cost of shipping. Unless I can wait till my folks come over at the end of the year and fill their container with parts for me lol

Quick fix.
Ran wiring alongside stock and connected to battery for testing.
Problem is its always on unless I rip the power cord out. So if it works I'll wire in a fused switch for the the being and seal the usb port with silicone or something. At least I can still ride it I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_202357.jpg
    IMG_20180421_202357.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 9
Back