Weight Balance

balance

Empty or full gas tank? Gona make quite a diference.Empty tank guessing about where swing arm mounts.

I have that new MAC cycle lift and after playing with that I discovered that to balance the bike perfectly on it I would need to build a bracket that would fit in the lugs under the frame just about where the starter motor is. I didn't want to support the weight of the bike by placing the lift pads on the starter motor, it would be just my luck that the starter bolts would break out of the engine case or something equally as stupid. So I'm going to say that those lugs are pretty close to the balance point... maybe just a tad in front of them.

I would have to say: about an inch or so a-head of the frame lugs as Tomo described. If I put my Rocket up on the centerstand (I created it, see my photo album), I can lift the front wheel off the ground with about 20 to 30 lbs of lift. So, just forward of the frame lugs would be a good point to reference as the "longitudinal" CG.

See ya.

Last edited:
Is your Mac lift very similar to typical motorcycle lift? Anyway I cleared out a spot in my shed so I can now park the beast inside.I use a piece of plywood to go across the rubber lift legs and position the center of the lift on the downward bend aft the peg on the high side.It lifts evenly and I turn the bike around in place.Before, I backed out down the ramp into my sandlot where I would put the 240 to task to plow the front in a 120 deg. arc to the driveway.

Center of mass

Thanks all:bch:

I'm going to draw up plans for a single wide bike trailer. The tow vehicle (rag top Sebring) is not one for taking a lot of tongue weight (100#). I needed an estimation of center. I plan on incremental fore and aft adjustment means as well as low, narrow, and tilt capable.

Incidentally, the rag top is nearly the same color scheme; but not by design.

Last edited:
Hey

HeR3tic, I have built a many trailers, custom mostly for 4-wheelers and I can say if you can stay away from tilt if you can it puts the axle to far forward which means you will have to put the bike closer to the front to stop swaying, and that means more tongue weight. I have found it is better to find a trailer you like and modify it. It usually is cheaper. The trailer company's around here rap you on bare parts sale. For the same size trailer it usually is about 200 less if I buy it. Of course when I do build them they are way sturdier the most.

Thanks Paul, I'll keep all in mind. I've been toying with the idea of using a modified small boat trailer. Such are cheap and a pretty good foundation. Both steel and cement are in short supply as a result of Chin's industrialization efforts. FYI: China is #1 largest exporter of Chromated copper arsenate (CCA). The world's only importer is USA. Now why do you suppose that is. At one time the USA had it's own home grown supply for the CCA chemical. Thanks Bill for killing US production sources and shipping it overseas. But that's not why we're here:D

Rusty - that's a mighty nice center stand. I think you once offered to send me one:D I got it on my birthday wish list:) I 'm curious whether it can be turned 180?? Thereby lifting the rear instead??

Again thanks all for the input. Needing a emoticon for brown noser...looking looking

Back