‘Balance’ exhaust gases exiting question

Bondysbike

Turbocharged
Ride
Rocket Roadster
Quick question regarding an open cross over pipe. How important is it that the exhaust is balanced ...ie. that the gases are made to exit equally split between left and right pipe.
With the DP pipe for example the left hand side exhaust gets soot the right not. ( not too much just darkens the inside somewhat - it doesn’t build up it just a thin coat but it is black compared to no or little soot the right side - but just wondered if this is an issue or not?)
Thanks.

Quick question regarding an open cross over pipe. How important is it that the exhaust is balanced ...ie. that the gases are made to exit equally split between left and right pipe.
With the DP pipe for example the left hand side exhaust gets soot the right not. ( not too much just darkens the inside somewhat - it doesn’t build up it just a thin coat but it is black compared to no or little soot the right side - but just wondered if this is an issue or not?)
Thanks.
Worry not. If it was a track bike with balanced headers and a tuned length for scavenge at certain rpms - OK yes. But on an R3 where the crossover basically is there to maintain a high flowed volume; as L and R have different lengths - expect differences. A DP crossover - well the one I have seen for early R3's flowed about as well as set concrete.

Thanks.

Don't think its important at all.

You may find you get some inversion (think they call it) where one pipe actually sucks in some air in (like a venturi), this may explain the color difference There is a post somewhere about this and it was effecting a wide band 02 sensor at idle.

Just think about a 3 into 1 system, all the flow comes out one pipe, if you added a second pipe above it it wont really change much. However if I back up "the banned ones" bike to mine, he has the dual pipes, I think his bike sounds better than mine, but when the revs are up and the 3 into 1 is howling?

My thoughts are that the header does the good stuff, the 02 sensor is prior to the junction so it can measure the flow correctly should it still be being used that is..and after that comes the junction for gases to escape to the cans and make "That" noise you want. So the amount going down each pipe comes down to pressure being exerted and the ease of flow down each pipe. If one has a straight escape route and the other has an elbow to negotiate then the straight one gets most flow...like water would.
That;s just my thinking at least.

Back