Weeping Bleeder Screw Rear Calliper Fix

Phew! I think I get it now…

In the days since you posted this I've returned and read it carefully at least four or five times, and it was only today that I finally put together exactly what you did.

It may (must) all seem perfectly obvious to people who understood what you were doing, but if you read closely, at no point anywhere in the writeup did you actually say you were using this machined pin to clean up the seating face in the caliper. It's assumed this is understood, and at least for me (admittedly sometimes a slow thinker), it wasn't.

My idea was to turn a pin that would fit the bore, with almost an interference fit with the highest point of the threads in the bore. I could use the bore as a guide for my turned pin to keep it 'true'/perpendicular to the Seating Face.

…and use this turned pin with some lapping paste to polish the seating face.

I then used 'Autosol' as a lapping paste

…on the end of the pin, to clean up the seating face in the caliper.

So now I can say I agree… great writeup! It's a beautiful thing now that I understand exactly what was happening. I just wanted to post this in case there's one or two others out there like me who couldn't quite put it together.

Great thread and I'm glad it wasn't Anusol used as a "lapping paste to polish the seating face" or I would of got really confused and concerned! ;):confused::D

I am not noticing any seepage BUT if she sits for 3-4 days unriden then go out I find the rear brake goes to the floor board. I have to pump it up, crack the bleeder and after 3rd time she back to full pedal. Odd thing to me is there is no fading or spongy feeling or any indications of an issue until she sits.
Anybody else ever experienced this or have any ideas?

I am not noticing any seepage BUT if she sits for 3-4 days unriden then go out I find the rear brake goes to the floor board. I have to pump it up, crack the bleeder and after 3rd time she back to full pedal. Odd thing to me is there is no fading or spongy feeling or any indications of an issue until she sits.
Anybody else ever experienced this or have any ideas?

Yes, I experienced the same issue , after bleeding the rear breaks it was ok but after a while the same condition would return. So I purchased a Stahlbus speed bleeder, expensive but so far the spongy rear brake pedal has not returned.

Wondering what the post would have been like had it been about the use of a "Nipple Therapy Kit?" Well, maybe not.

Seriously, great post. I wish I had the mad machining skills that you have.

Wondering (for the rest of us) if you could use a new bleed screw, grind off the threads, and use that to polish the inside of the caliper, or does the tip need to be slightly oversized?

Last edited:
Yes, I experienced the same issue , after bleeding the rear breaks it was ok but after a while the same condition would return. So I purchased a Stahlbus speed bleeder, expensive but so far the spongy rear brake pedal has not returned.
You wouldn't happen to remember the part number of that Stahlbus speed bleeder?

50CA0FA0-72D8-4D63-BE9D-072541315E90.jpeg I will have it on the invoice, will put it up on the forum tomorrow.

Had the same problem. Bought the stock bleeder and used a high dollar toque wrench when installing No problems since then. Brakes work great. Never sits a day or two so have no idea of that effect. :p:p:p:p

I have noticed that the pedal has a really good feel when the bike standing but when riding the pedal does get a spongy feel with longer travel, I think I have to bleed out the ABS system to get a good rear brake feel. That’s will be another challenge for me.

Has anyone used the Tune ECU to activate the ABS system then bleed the brakes, if so any tricks or things to look out for.

Back