Ways to disable need for Clutch to start bike?

I hate having to pull the clutch in when starting the bike...anyone have any knowledge on how to disable this? Is it possible, or is this something you can do with TuneECU maybe?
This is for the new 2.5l Rocket 3 btw...

ta...
Beyond my comprehension why you would want to do this - such an important safety feature. Why is it such an issue?

What am I missing? I don't have to depress the clutch on all my bikes to start them. Not that it's a big deal to me doing it.

What am I missing? I don't have to depress the clutch on all my bikes to start them. Not that it's a big deal to me doing it.
triumph does like there safety switches
u could could put a starter button on the bars and connect to starter relay to eliminate all safety's but i know it would get me in trouble.

I never gave it a second thought. I do remember on more than a few occasions in my younger days of riding various bikes of placing the bike in Neutral and hitting the starter switch without the clutch in. Now the Neural light was on although evidentially it wasn't in neutral and it lurched hard forward with me catching the bike as it died. This happened at least a handful of times throughout my earlier riding days and the different bikes I did it on never fell luckily. Now of the thousands of times of starting the bikes without the clutch in 5 or so times seems small but if it fell it would be costly. It took me a while to learn to always start with the clutch in while in 'N' letting the clutch out slow. It's a habit now and has been for the last 35 or so years. Cheers!

thanks for the responses everyone.

to those wondering why on earth i would want to do this, it's quite simple, sometimes i want to start the bike and warm it up whilst i get my gear on, get situated, etc. I often have items in my hands, helmet, rear pillion bag, phone, gloves etc, so would be nice to just flick the switch with my free hand, rather than putting everything down and hoping it doesn't fall off the seat!
the safety aspect doesn't worry me, i've never had any issues with my old daytona 650 for example, and that does not require the clutch in to start, and it's what i have become used to. to me, it's equivalent to the keyless ignition.

cheers

Oh, so you can't start it in neutral? One of mine is like that, but I forget which, maybe my k1200gt.

thanks for the responses everyone.

to those wondering why on earth i would want to do this, it's quite simple, sometimes i want to start the bike and warm it up whilst i get my gear on, get situated, etc. I often have items in my hands, helmet, rear pillion bag, phone, gloves etc, so would be nice to just flick the switch with my free hand, rather than putting everything down and hoping it doesn't fall off the seat!
the safety aspect doesn't worry me, i've never had any issues with my old daytona 650 for example, and that does not require the clutch in to start, and it's what i have become used to. to me, it's equivalent to the keyless ignition.

cheers
Yup, I had exactly the same issue when I first got a clutch-sensor bike. For me that was a Suzuki M50 about 10 years ago and yeah, I have to say I hated it!

Prior to having a clutch-sensor my standard practice was to walk to the bike, carrying my helmet with gloves in it and keys in the other hand. When I got to the bike I would insert the key, twist to "ON" while still holding the helmet and gloves in the other hand, then start it up. Then, while the bike was idling, I would set about putting my helmet on, fussing with gloves, putting gear in the saddle bags etc. then throw my leg over and take off. Requiring both hands be free to start the bike necessitates that starting it up is the last thing you do –meaning you then have to wait a while for it to warm up.

Note, when starting with one hand the bike was always on the side stand so it would refuse to turn over if it was in gear. I know side stand switches aren't 100% reliable and a faulty switch could lead to an uncontrolled lurch but it was still good enough for me. As it is it would make sense to me if the clutch were only required to be held in when starting if the bike was in gear but it seems this is not how they're designed.

I suppose another switch near the clutch switch would work
Flip it on the nite before or b4 u start and turn it off when when u r ready to ride.

Back