Washer Lingo...

Ooooooooring

I believe the O-Ring referred too is the one at the top of the oil tank drain plug.Someone with a manual can check to make sure. It's cold and rainy here and mine is all the way out in the garage. I have never changed that one either. Like Rocky, my mind can be changed, but Triumph has already gotten allot of money.

Last edited:
when you go to buy the oil filter, ask for the two new "gasket washers" and also the o-ring. They are such a small price to pay for the thing to be done right.
When you torque these down to the proper settting, they will crush slightly. If you try to re-use them in theory you would have to go slightly more on torque to get any"crush" or flow of the metal to ensure a good seal. If you were to keep doing this you my tend to strip out the casting threads. and as far as the o-ring goes they should not be re-used, yes they can be re-used, but they become brittle from the heat of the engine and can tear upon re-installation. that would be a huge delay on pulling it back out and metering in the proper amount of oil. In my opinion of course........ Why risk it? Rademis

The one on spike with the o ring is the main oil tank drain plug. If your not pulling this one your not getting it all out.Even with it out the sump has another 1/4 qrt left in the bottom.Not a very good set up for complete draining.Your latter models may be differnt..And your millage may differ. BJC

when you go to buy the oil filter, ask for the two new "gasket washers" and also the o-ring. They are such a small price to pay for the thing to be done right...Rademis
That's why I don't recall! I use a Scott's permanent filter that I flush and re-install every 3k. No O-ring! I like my Scott's filter; with the ribbed outer sheath! It is suppose to provide a measure of oil cooling.
Plus, in a small measure I'm going green. I'm not adding to the land-fills an oil impregnated nearly indestructible canister of oil soaked paper that has only 1/3 the efficiency in oil filtration.

Last edited:
Rad

Yes thats the proper way to go.But when I can cheat the bastards out of 6 dollars I do it. You could throw the washers away and use a light smear of silicone on the plug threads and seating surface and hand tighten them and have no trouble.The washers just make it easier for their (highly trained Technicians)..WHOOOHOO BJC

Hey you guys with later models than mine.Would you ck. your owners manual for the change in plugs. Page 62 #1 says oil tank drain plug #2 Front sump #3 rear sump..Thanks

Crush Washers

I was told by my dealer after the break in oil change, I could then change the oil my self but I was required to replace the crush washers each oil change in order to keep the warranty valid.

That's odd. The only affected part would essentially be the oil pan itself. (provided you didn't allow all of the oil to leak out if you had a leak)

It's my understanding that they can only deny a warranty claim if something you did or changed caused the part to fail. I don't see how not replacing a drain plug washer would affect anything if there is no leak.

Back