Warning Lite - Oil lite stays on

when working on something that someone else has work on u need to consider the fact that u have the original problem plus the problems he created while working on it. (maybe several things wrong.)
u might start by pulling the three oil drain plugs. this should drain the storage tank. check for debris in the oil. cut around the filter near base then open it up to see what is in it (if u cut it with hacksaw it will have the material the comes with sawing. )
the more info u can give us the more info we can give u.
wjb post looks like a good starting place.
there is an anti drain valve that may be in backwards?
i guess my opinion would be go in the front and check out what wjb said and see if thee chain is turning the pump ect.

when working on something that someone else has work on u need to consider the fact that u have the original problem plus the problems he created while working on it. (maybe several things wrong.)
u might start by pulling the three oil drain plugs. this should drain the storage tank. check for debris in the oil. cut around the filter near base then open it up to see what is in it (if u cut it with hacksaw it will have the material the comes with sawing. )
the more info u can give us the more info we can give u.
wjb post looks like a good starting place.
there is an anti drain valve that may be in backwards?
i guess my opinion would be go in the front and check out what wjb said and see if thee chain is turning the pump ect.

Going in the front, just pulled off the radiator and water pump. Looking at the manual now before I get any deeper.

If I remember correctly the clutch basket drives the oil pump which in turn drives the water pump via a small chain. So if all is correct you should not be able to spin the water pump shaft with out spinning the entire engine. In normal operation the water pump, oil pump and clutch are all connected to the crankshaft, so if you can spin the water pump driveshaft by it's self then something is not connected. The water pump drive shaft is just below the clutch assembly.

If I remember correctly the clutch basket drives the oil pump which in turn drives the water pump via a small chain. So if all is correct you should not be able to spin the water pump shaft with out spinning the entire engine. In normal operation the water pump, oil pump and clutch are all connected to the crankshaft, so if you can spin the water pump driveshaft by it's self then something is not connected. The water pump drive shaft is just below the clutch assembly.

You still need to pull off the whole front plate and remove the Radiator, Water pump and clutch cable before getting to the 25+ bolts to remove this plate to see everything correct?

I dont know about the seeing but to fix the plate will have to come off.

Yes, that is correct.

When I pull this off, how to I validate your statement... you should not be able to spin the water pump shaft with out spinning the entire engine. In normal operation the water pump, oil pump and clutch are all connected to the crankshaft, so if you can spin the water pump driveshaft by it's self then something is not connected. The water pump drive shaft is just below the clutch assembly. Just put the bike in Neutral and turn/spin the "Water Pump" shaft to validate everything is working as designed?

You still need to pull off the whole front plate and remove the Radiator, Water pump and clutch cable before getting to the 25+ bolts to remove this plate to see everything correct?
You can check water pump impeller by just removing three bolts and copper washer holding pump cover to the pump, don't need to remove any thing else, can even leave tire on. Make sure you've drained the radiator. You can then try to turn impeller with your fingers, if it turns, it's not being driven by oil pump

You can check water pump impeller by just removing three bolts and copper washer holding pump cover to the pump, don't need to remove any thing else, can even leave tire on. Make sure you've drained the radiator.

I have done that already - this has been removed - so I look in the whole after the complete Water Pump has been removed and I see the shaft and connection that comes from the water pump shaft that interconnects to it... Do I not need to remove the complete water pump?

Back