I reckon Ethel Purtle was heaps cooler!

ethelnfrendl.jpg
catladyl.jpg
2.jpg
Wow that's increadable I mean insane but wow that is mad awesome who'd of thought it ... them madders obviously . Cool

Wow that's increadable I mean insane but wow that is mad awesome who'd of thought it ... them madders obviously . Cool[/QUOTE
@Ishrub Thank you so much for putting that up , I'd never known else, gonna go and read up all about it now , amazing .

Yeah she’s one bad chic

So was this feisty lady.:cool::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Gwenda Hawkes
Gwenda Hawkes - Wikipedia

1 June 1894 – 27 May 1990 was notable as an ambulance driver in World War I and later as a motor racing driver and motorcycle world speed record holder....

Gwenda herself served during World War I as an ambulance driver, and as a result of her skill and endeavours on both the Russian Front and Rumanian Front during 1914-1918, she was awarded both the Cross of St. George and the Cross of St. Stanislaus and was also mentioned in despatches.[8]

Motor-cycle racing[edit]
Following her marriage to Colonel Sam Janson, a director of the Spyker car company, on 17 February 1920 in Brompton, Gwenda became interested in motor-cycle racing, competing in events at Brooklands.[5][7]

In the winter of 1921, Gwenda established the 1000-mile record on a Ner-A-Car motor-cycle and in 1922 took the Double-12-hour record at Brooklands on a Trump-JAP.[8]

Ner-a-Car-1921.jpg

(There is one of these at the Nabiac Motorcycle Museum we visited during RDU 2018 located in a 1 horse town.) The National Motorcycle Museum of Australia

Gwenda spent time away from home whilst participating in motor-cycling events, and the close relationship that she developed with Colonel Neil Stewart, who was involved with the company who provided her motor-cycles, resulted in Janson divorcing her in 1923.[5][7]

Gwenda and Stewart married, and, as a result of night-time restrictions on the use of the circuit at Brooklands interfering with Glenda's motor-cycle record breaking activities, the pair moved to France to be closer to the unrestricted circuit at Montlhéry.[7] At the Montlhéry circuit, Gwenda broke the world 24-hour motor-cycle speed record on a Terrot-JAP.[7]

304cimg7900.jpg

At Montlhéry, Gwenda met Douglas Hawkes, who became one of her mechanics.[7]

In 1930, Gwenda turned in a speed of 113 mph (182 km/h) in a race-tuned Morgan Super Sports.[9]

In 1928 the new Super Sports debuted, with an overhead valve JAP 10/40 water-cooled vee-twin, priced £155.[21]
800px-Morgan_Super_Sports_1935_-_front.jpg

By DeFacto - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, File:Morgan Super Sports 1935 - front.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
1280px-Morgan_Super_Sports_1935_-_rear.jpg

By DeFacto - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, File:Morgan Super Sports 1935 - rear.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Motor-car racing[edit]
Douglas Hawkes was a director of the Derby engine and car company and was able to source a Miller Special from the United States. In the period between 1930 and 1933, in the Miller-derived car specially prepared by Derby and designated as a Derby-Miller, Gwenda broke the one-mile speed record several times at Montlhéry.[7]

Gwenda also competed on two occasions, with little success, in the 24 Hours of Le Mans event, at the wheel of a Derby car using a Maserati engine.[7] In 1935 she became the fastest woman ever at Brooklands, with a lap speed of 135.95 miles per hour which bettered the previous lap record set by Kay Petre.[10]

Gwenda's affair with Douglas Hawkes resulted in her divorce from Stewart, and her marriage in 1937 to Hawkes as her third husband.[7][11]

Gwenda_Stewart.JPG

Last edited:
Back