Ultimate Trip, planning on doing this next year...

That's an aggressive trip! Looks absolutely awesome though.
13,500 miles is 2 tire changes for me on the Avon and Bridgey. I guess change week befor you leave, once along the way and once as soon as you get home, but I'm lucky to get 7500 miles before I need a change, would be cutting it tight!
I don't mind some iron butt days, but 10-15 in a row is way beyond me!
You do go directly by my house (between New Orleans and mobile). Assuming you ride sept (when we get back from Germany) or later, you've got another place to stay.

imrs.php
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ius-computes-the-ultimate-american-road-trip/

Olson’s rules were as follows:

1. “The trip must make at least one stop in all 48 states in the contiguous U.S.”
  2. “The trip would only make stops at National Natural Landmarks, National Historic Sites, National Parks, or National Monuments.”
  3. “The trip must be taken by car/bike and never leave the U.S.”
9 days of nonstop, I figured I can do it in under 15...

Unsure, if you might have considered this - but I think, you could choose an alternative route to go between Las Vegas and Sanjose - via Death Valley !

That's the biggest problem with max distance/day for such a long trip. Back roads are so much better than highway, but they add an extra 30% to the time. I'd rather make the trip in for separate 10 day rides and enjoy the scenery/locales. Just because we landed somewhere, didn't mean we could say we'd been there if it was minimum turn times for crew rest and no chance to see anything.
I think doing this for charity is a different issue and understand the need for expedient pass throughs; so I'm not trying to take anything away from the trip Head has planned though. Hats of to him for doing it!

That's the biggest problem with max distance/day for such a long trip. Back roads are so much better than highway, but they add an extra 30% to the time. I'd rather make the trip in for separate 10 day rides and enjoy the scenery/locales. Just because we landed somewhere, didn't mean we could say we'd been there if it was minimum turn times for crew rest and no chance to see anything.
I think doing this for charity is a different issue and understand the need for expedient pass throughs; so I'm not trying to take anything away from the trip Head has planned though. Hats of to him for doing it!
I know there are better roads and would love to spend time at all the sites to see. But this is not the intended purpose of this trip. I have been to all but 4 states on a bike and have been on a lot of slab and back roads over 24 yrs in USA. This is for a cause close to me and my ultimate goal is to make a small difference. I can do all 48 in much less time but this is a challenge since it's to a specific place in each.

Back