Ultimate Trip, planning on doing this next year...

ROCKETHEAD

Top Fuel
Ride
2015 Triumph Trophy SE
imrs.php
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ius-computes-the-ultimate-american-road-trip/

Olson’s rules were as follows:

1. “The trip must make at least one stop in all 48 states in the contiguous U.S.”
  2. “The trip would only make stops at National Natural Landmarks, National Historic Sites, National Parks, or National Monuments.”
  3. “The trip must be taken by car/bike and never leave the U.S.”
9 days of nonstop, I figured I can do it in under 15...

I suppose it's doable, with my math:

6 hrs of sleep a day
10 minute stop every 150 miles (food, gas)
30 minute dinner

Came in to a little over 12 days

Though I didn't take into account the oil change you'd need.

It'd be cool as a "look what I did" sort of thing, but I don't think I'd be able to enjoy the rushed nature of it all. Oh, and I would hate everything and everyone for a week after I got back. LOL

I think I have done most of that - although not in one go. It could be done - but why do it all in one go and get white line fever when there are so many great places to go and see within spitting distance of the route?

At least a 6 week ride. Did 11,500 miler across the US in 2013, averaged 300 miles per day with four no ride days and it was six weeks to the day.
Great looking ride. I would have a few suggestions for some of the west side, if you be interested?

I plan on doing it as a charity ride and being sponsored, pay by mile or $ per state kind of thing... have work pay my days off so I don't burn vacation days, working on a sponsor letter to a few businesses and NA Triumph. Figure we're a billion $ company one peon gone for 2 weeks won't hurt.

Your trip sounds like quite a ride. I am not certain I could do that amount of riding in that time span. My nav unit (my bride, the owner of the bike) would say something like, "If you think I am just going to wave at the Grand Canyon as we ride by, you better figure out how to do this when you are walking'. :)

Sometimes she just doesn't understand when I say I want to go for a ride.

Later,
Jerry

Looks like a good plan for RAA next year

I agree! At least a darn good starting place.
Then we'd better get started on RAA XI planning soon after we return from RAA X.
I like the idea of a roller around the country. where riders can enter the ride anywhere along the route and exit anywhere they wish.
Shall need to have every day planned in similar fashion to the Antique Motorcycle Canonball run.
Like Head, we should go out and beg some sponsorship for awards to the most mileage on the route, et cetera, et cetera . . .

Oh, as a charity thing that would change the whole context of the trip, and would in fact make it awesome. Hopefully you can get this up and running.

I'd still be nervous about the oil change in your listed time frame. Would probably be a good idea to identify the city where it needs to happen, and get a hold of the shop ahead of time and see what they can do about getting you in and out ASAP. I'm sure if you get the right shop they'll be happy to help out with a charity event. Hell, they might even donate.

I plan on doing it as a charity ride and being sponsored, pay by mile or $ per state kind of thing... have work pay my days off so I don't burn vacation days, working on a sponsor letter to a few businesses and NA Triumph. Figure we're a billion $ company one peon gone for 2 weeks won't hurt.

So then, how many miles you figure this route is?
Looks to be done in Google Maps. If so, would you mind sending it to me at
1olbull@gmail.com?

Back