So what's next ?

Just my perspective after working 30 years in electric generation on how EV's and infrastructure are about to clash. There are only a few viable ways of making commercial electricity, coal, gas, nuclear, and wind. Solar is OK for individual houses but solar farms aren't commercially a thing (yet). Wind power is awesome as long as there is wind, it knocks birds and bats out of the sky with alarming regularity and has the grid going up and down like a pogo stick, which is why the government requires extra "spinning reserve" from base load plants for operators with wind farms to absorb the fluctuations on voltage on the grid. Depending on where you live the grid is made up of 345 KV on up to 700 KV distribution lines. Those lines feed substations where the voltage is reduced for distribution, typically about 7KV. That's what is feeding your transformer on a pole in the backyard or pedestal base before it hits your house (in the USA) at 240 VAC. As demand goes up generation has to increase, putting more electrons down the wires. Those wire respond by heating up from the current flow (check out the wires in your toaster for this effect). When the system current flow gets really high the heat load causes the wires to elongate creating more sag. No big deal until it contacts something grounded, like a tree. That's what caused the great 2008 Northeast blackout, a single tree in a neighborhood. So in the densely populated Northeast corridor we switch all the gas guzzlers to EV's and when summer hits all those folks plug in at 5:30 PM getting home from work, flip on the air conditioning and the system overloads, consequently nobodies bus, car, bike, skateboard, gets charged, and transportation comes to a hot sweaty halt while tempers flair over the countries utilities not making enough electricity. Here's the rub: US government mandated deregulation back in the 1980's forced electric utilities to separate generation from distribution. The two sides are not allowed to talk to each other, at all. It's considered "insider trading" if distribution knows what generation is doing. The kicker is nobody can make a profit from owning the wires all that electricity is flowing over. So why would anyone spend a nickel to put more wire up? You can't profit from it, it' requires routine maintenance and you could only get a tax break once. Until the US government wakes up and smells what it's shoveling the system can only degrade.
Contrary to popular belief, electric energy is not conducted through wires like water in a pipe. Batteries are not a bucket of electrons. Just my 2 cents.

@Mighty Mouse your just a 'boomer has been', worried about your future job prospects! ;):roll::roll::roll::roll:

1640318693835.png

Contrary to popular belief, electric energy is not conducted through wires like water in a pipe. Batteries are not a bucket of electrons. Just my 2 cents.
It has long been known that electricity "flows" on the outside of wires. The higher the amperage the larger the conductor needs to be for heat dissipation. The connecting links between the main generator output bushings and the main transformers at a power station are very large and have a separate cooling system. They are also hollow because electron flow is on the skin or surface of the conductor. At Wolf Creek the main generator output was 25KV at 31,000 amps (plus a bit more). The line losses at that voltage (magnetic field buildup and collapse for AC current) makes using that voltage untenable over long distances, so the main transformers raised the output voltage to 345KV, with a resulting drop in amperage on the lines (less line heating). Exactly how the current is conducted and the physics behind it are complex as your video demonstrates. Your video does indirectly raise the question Tesla postulated about transfer of electric power without a conductor (wireless power transmission).

One of the things about electron flow that's interesting is once it's flowing it wants to continue flowing. In fact sometimes it's hard to make it stop:

WOW... great post that hits LOTS of topics! I've seen electric bikes but not rode one yet [not for me, NOT knocking them.... just like what I've ridden for 40 years] most long time riders understand the adrenaline of the throttle, gas, gears, and yes; the NOISE etc... so I won't repeat it again. I am interested in the Tesla lil' car for retirement, obviously to save on monthly expenses with gas/maintenance in mind, I plan to add solar panels to the retirement house with generator too... hopefully offset the electrical direction we'll end up in based on some info here. GREAT minds in here, I'm in telecommunications and I stay the 'f away from electricity, plain and simple; my electrician friends say, "don't be afraid of it, respect it"! My response is simple, "I'll just continue to stay away from it, respectfully " :roll:... I've been on jobsites where ambulances take the professionals out from crap that happens at the panel...and they KNOW what they're doing, this falls under $hit happens!

Thanks for the awesome, gentlemanly volley of thoughts and ideas. Nudging the politics softly is funny too IMO :thumbsup:

I believe this rocket will be my last bike until I see something that makes my head spin [the way this current rocket did...and feel like doing battle with the wife over THAT choice :laugh: again, just brought this one home, BUT did ask her "what color" from the dealership which she just ignored] I'll be 60 next month so might have to convert this rocket to a trike or something like that when I'm not as stable in about 10-yrs, part of the life cycle... but will ride til I drop dead

Merry Christmas rocketeers 🚀!!

It has long been known that electricity "flows" on the outside of wires. The higher the amperage the larger the conductor needs to be for heat dissipation. The connecting links between the main generator output bushings and the main transformers at a power station are very large and have a separate cooling system. They are also hollow because electron flow is on the skin or surface of the conductor. At Wolf Creek the main generator output was 25KV at 31,000 amps (plus a bit more). The line losses at that voltage (magnetic field buildup and collapse for AC current) makes using that voltage untenable over long distances, so the main transformers raised the output voltage to 345KV, with a resulting drop in amperage on the lines (less line heating). Exactly how the current is conducted and the physics behind it are complex as your video demonstrates. Your video does indirectly raise the question Tesla postulated about transfer of electric power without a conductor (wireless power transmission).

One of the things about electron flow that's interesting is once it's flowing it wants to continue flowing. In fact sometimes it's hard to make it stop:

I must be wierd....I always liked the sound of a 345kv or 500kv switch opening.......o_O
o_O🤪🤪🤪🤔🤔😲😲

The one constant in the world is change.
Reminds me of my first Nuclear Poem:

Oh give me a home, with a large concrete dome,
Where the workers are loafing all day.
Where engineers snooze cuz they drank too much booze,
And the crafts are not working today.

Dome, dome on the range,
Our managements plans are deranged,
Where seldom is heard an encouraging word,
And the only thing constant is change.

Musk has a motorcycle in the pipe line. Rapid charging is a big technical hurdle. Some systems have a rapidly exchangeable battery. You stop at the gas station and just change your battery and carry on. Producing and storing energy without consuming oxygen and releasing CO2 at reasonable cost...?

I'm surprised they have not come up with an electric outboard for recreational use. Can you imagine, a silent motorboat, fast like the Tesla?. There are a lot of power boats out there. In a sailboat it would be perfect. You would not have to carry a diesel motor which is mainly used for docking. A set of paddlewheels and a solar panel would charge the batteries. Windmills have been on sailboats for a long time but just to run electronics and lights.

Can you imagine riding your new electric bike and an ac like that shoots up through your balls.☠️

Back