Tuning a new R3R

TuneBoy and TuneECU both alter the ECU. Your expert does not know what he is talking about. I have both of those programmes, but have not used TuneBoy for a loooooong time. I use TuneECU regularly for many things. I also have a PCV with AT as I could not get to a dyno tuner with the bike set up the way it is now. If you cannot get to a dyno tuner then get the PCV/AT and ask Hanso very nicely for a good maps to use. You will need one for TuneECU and one for the PCV. TuneECU is the most useful tool you will ever find for the RIII.

You're certain that the '14 R3R ECU can be flashed by TuneECU then? That would directly contradict what I was told at a dyno shop earlier today. :banghead:

I have a 2012 R3R, so I do not have personal knowledge of the 2014 R3R; however, several others here have stated the new er ECUs are completely compatible with Tune ECU.
I found a terrific tuner not far from me (Woodinville, WA) on the Tune ECU website.
Here is what I just found listed for CA:
CycleMall, Tustin CA
[URL='http://www.factorypro.com/']FactoryPro, San Rafael CA[/URL]
JT&S Performance, Infineon Raceway Sonoma CA

Hope this helps?

I have a 2012 R3R, so I do not have personal knowledge of the 2014 R3R; however, several others here have stated the new er ECUs are completely compatible with Tune ECU.
I found a terrific tuner not far from me (Woodinville, WA) on the Tune ECU website.
Here is what I just found listed for CA:
CycleMall, Tustin CA
FactoryPro, San Rafael CA
JT&S Performance, Infineon Raceway Sonoma CA

Hope this helps?

OK, I'll go the TuneECU route and keep on looking for a good dyno tuner. Thanks for all the advice, guys.
BTW, I saw that same listing on the TuneECU website. FactoryPro and JT&S are both in NorCal, a good 5-6 hours away, and CycleMall in Tustin is where I went today and received some apparently bad advice.

OK, I'll go the TuneECU route and keep on looking for a good dyno tuner. Thanks for all the advice, guys.
BTW, I saw that same listing on the TuneECU website. FactoryPro and JT&S are both in NorCal, a good 5-6 hours away, and CycleMall in Tustin is where I went today and received some apparently bad advice.
The issue isn't finding a good tuner. It's finding a tuner with a lot of experience using TuneECU to dyno tune, especially Keihin ECU's like your's. I'm in the same boat. No one near Reno has any experience with TuneECU. Minnesota is completely irrelevant. You should call those guys in NorCal and ask them how many Triumphs with Keihin ECU's they've dyno tuned with TuneECU. If it's a lot, it could be worth the 6 hour ride. If not, forget it. You've seen how the DynoJet guy bullsh!tted you.

There is another alternative. If you go to the TuneECU site, under:

There are tunes for the Roadster: R3R_slip.hex for VINs up to 574812 and R3R_slip_grafted_onto_20773.hex for VINs from 574813. These are custom dyno tunes done by Wayne (Power-Tripp) Tripp for Roadsters with TORs or slip-ons and triple K&N RU-2780 filters. The two tunes are exactly the same except they changed the ECU at VIN 574812. If you put the RAMAIR on, buy the cable for $20 and load this tune with TuneECU. Better still, waste some money and buy the K&N filters [3 RU-2780, 1 62-1340 for the crankcase breather, and 1 62-1560 to protect the temperature sensor. You won't need this last one for the RAMAIR. There's a good video for installing the RAMAIR which also applies to the K&N install:

]

first and see if the tune works with those. I doubt there's much difference between the RAMAIR and triple K&N's. If this doesn't work and you can't access a TuneECU tuner, you can always start with the R3R slip tune and have a PCV installed and tuned. However, you need to find a DynoJet tuner who will tune each cell (RPM vs throttle position) manually, not with Tuning Link. If they say this auto tune method is fine, find someone else.

Power-Tripp is a tuning guru but he's back East somewhere and retired. I just bought a 2007 R3 Classic with a Jardine rumbler exhaust. It had a stock Triumph TOR tune in it. It ran OK, a bit rough, but was obviously too lean. There was no custom TuneECU tune I could find for just this exhaust and an under-seat filter. But there is a custom Power-Tripp tune for Jardines and triple K&N's. I installed the triple filters and loaded Power-Tripp's tune. It runs smooth, fast, with no popping on hard deceleration. I was going to have a Power Commander installed and tuned but now there's no need. You should give it a shot.

Last edited:
That looks like a solid plan. The TuneECU description for that tune said "should avoid issues with the '14 ecu", so maybe there's some truth to difficulty dealing with this particular factory stock tune, but I'll give it a shot when I get the slip-ons. I'll try and call those Bay Area tuners over the next few weeks and see what's up. Maybe we can plan a group dyno tuning trip to one of the shops and have a drink or twenty!

Anyone here with a '14 R3R running this TuneECU: R3R_Slip_grafted_onto_20773_base.hex?

The issue isn't finding a good tuner. It's finding a tuner with a lot of experience using TuneECU to dyno tune, especially Keihin ECU's like your's. I'm in the same boat. No one near Reno has any experience with TuneECU. Minnesota is completely irrelevant. You should call those guys in NorCal and ask them how many Triumphs with Keihin ECU's they've dyno tuned with TuneECU. If it's a lot, it could be worth the 6 hour ride. If not, forget it. You've seen how the DynoJet guy bullsh!tted you.

There is another alternative. If you go to the TuneECU site, under:

There are tunes for the Roadster: R3R_slip.hex for VINs up to 574812 and R3R_slip_grafted_onto_20773.hex for VINs from 574813. These are custom dyno tunes done by Wayne (Power-Tripp) Tripp for Roadsters with TORs or slip-ons and triple K&N RU-2780 filters. The two tunes are exactly the same except they changed the ECU at VIN 574812. If you put the RAMAIR on, buy the cable for $20 and load this tune with TuneECU. Better still, waste some money and buy the K&N filters [3 RU-2780, 1 62-1340 for the crankcase breather, and 1 62-1560 to protect the temperature sensor. You won't need this last one for the RAMAIR. There's a good video for installing the RAMAIR which also applies to the K&N install:

]

first and see if the tune works with those. I doubt there's much difference between the RAMAIR and triple K&N's. If this doesn't work and you can't access a TuneECU tuner, you can always start with the R3R slip tune and have a PCV installed and tuned. However, you need to find a DynoJet tuner who will tune each cell (RPM vs throttle position) manually, not with Tuning Link. If they say this auto tune method is fine, find someone else.

Power-Tripp is a tuning guru but he's back East somewhere and retired. I just bought a 2007 R3 Classic with a Jardine rumbler exhaust. It had a stock Triumph TOR tune in it. It ran OK, a bit rough, but was obviously too lean. There was no custom TuneECU tune I could find for just this exhaust and an under-seat filter. But there is a custom Power-Tripp tune for Jardines and triple K&N's. I installed the triple filters and loaded Power-Tripp's tune. It runs smooth, fast, with no popping on hard deceleration. I was going to have a Power Commander installed and tuned but now there's no need. You should give it a shot.

Not sure I follow you on this statement.

That looks like a solid plan. The TuneECU description for that tune said "should avoid issues with the '14 ecu", so maybe there's some truth to difficulty dealing with this particular factory stock tune, but I'll give it a shot when I get the slip-ons. I'll try and call those Bay Area tuners over the next few weeks and see what's up. Maybe we can plan a group dyno tuning trip to one of the shops and have a drink or twenty!

Anyone here with a '14 R3R running this TuneECU: R3R_Slip_grafted_onto_20773_base.hex?
Not sure what the problem would be other than the differences between the pre and post vin ECU compatibility. Just check your VIN and use the appropriate tune.

It just means I wouldn't travel to Minnesota to tune my bike even if the best tuner in the universe was there. Probably not even Sacramento.
Well, what if that tuner just happened to be a former Playmate and there's free Surly beer? :whitstling:

Not sure what the problem would be other than the differences between the pre and post vin ECU compatibility. Just check your VIN and use the appropriate tune.
Sent him an e-mail just now asking what's different about the '14 ECU and the reason for that note next to the tune. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Back