Tuning a new R3R

If you have a pc5 and AT there really is no need to hunt tunes. You have the tools needed to dial in the tune to your bike perfectly already.

The popping and burbling is almost certainly a lean condition on over run when decelerating. You are hearing it more now because the crossover is open and doesn't mask the sound.

The popping on deceleration after a wot pull is not in any way bad for the bike. If it bothers you add fuel to the 0% throttle column above 2k rpm area until it stops.

Factory tunes purposely are set lean there because fuel there is all wasted fuel, so they cut it for both emissions and mileage purposes.
Spent time on dyno and no matter setting still backfired around 2200 rpm. Not popping but big bangs.
So stock filters if tune for 3 k&n not culprit?

First: is a bang from the intake or exhaust? One big loud bang or a series of small ones with a few big ones?

I can make any rocket pop/bang on decel, it's all a matter of fueling. Air filter or exhaust is irrelevant to the issue, it's a fueling issue. Certain exhausts will be more audible because of their design, my ces sound like a 30/6 going off when decelerating from 7k wot pulls, I get a rifle Crack around 4500.

The rocket does have a fuel cut override where it ignores the table and cuts 100% fuel in certain conditions, meaning, you cannot always tune out the one or two big pops on decel.

The 2200 pop you are getting is the fuel cut override disabling and normal fuel resuming, you will not get rid of it if using tuneecu, and may or may not be able to override it with the PC V, but I suspect not. It is a hard coded feature that can't be adjusted in any currently available software. Many owners don't hear it or have because it's all about fuel residuals getting the perfect mixture in the exhaust and lighting off when the pipes are hot enough, some pipes just don't lend themselves to hitting that perfect mix to aferburn (ces are certainly good at it lol).

Personally I don't get it why people want it to sound all silky smooth all the time.... If it's built and pipped I want it sound nasty as hell, snarl pop bang boom etc. It's a badge of " my bike isn't stock" and if someone with a stock bike were to make a dismissive comment they can show me how much "better" their bike runs on freeway.....

Last edited:
My questions are:
  1. Do you still recommend the other filters you mention above "1 62-1340 for the crankcase breather, and 1 62-1560 to protect the temperature sensor"?

Personally i didnt like the crankcase breather filter, got blocked up to quickly, is a massive knt to fit and is prone to popping off. I fitted a length of 10mm fuel hose over the outlet run that up the back of the engine and under the tank , that is then reduced down by slipping a length of 8mm fuel line into into the end of the 10mm , the end of the 8mm is then snuggly fitted into a hole i placed in the back of the filter that sits on the front throttle body , i had the same setup on my Ramair for a good 6 months.

The temp sensor is ziptied to what i think is the outer butterfly axle between rear and middle throttle bodies , you can see it in this pic

First: is a bang from the intake or exhaust? One big loud bang or a series of small ones with a few big ones?

I can make any rocket pop/bang on decel, it's all a matter of fueling. Air filter or exhaust is irrelevant to the issue, it's a fueling issue. Certain exhausts will be more audible because of their design, my ces sound like a 30/6 going off when decelerating from 7k wot pulls, I get a rifle Crack around 4500.

The rocket does have a fuel cut override where it ignores the table and cuts 100% fuel in certain conditions, meaning, you cannot always tune out the one or two big pops on decel.

The 2200 pop you are getting is the fuel cut override disabling and normal fuel resuming, you will not get rid of it if using tuneecu, and may or may not be able to override it with the PC V, but I suspect not. It is a hard coded feature that can't be adjusted in any currently available software. Many owners don't hear it or have because it's all about fuel residuals getting the perfect mixture in the exhaust and lighting off when the pipes are hot enough, some pipes just don't lend themselves to hitting that perfect mix to aferburn (ces are certainly good at it lol).

Personally I don't get it why people want it to sound all silky smooth all the time.... If it's built and pipped I want it sound nasty as hell, snarl pop bang boom etc. It's a badge of " my bike isn't stock" and if someone with a stock bike were to make a dismissive comment they can show me how much "better" their bike runs on freeway.....
One or two very big bangs.

Personally i didnt like the crankcase breather filter, got blocked up to quickly, is a massive knt to fit and is prone to popping off. I fitted a length of 10mm fuel hose over the outlet run that up the back of the engine and under the tank , that is then reduced down by slipping a length of 8mm fuel line into into the end of the 10mm , the end of the 8mm is then snuggly fitted into a hole i placed in the back of the filter that sits on the front throttle body , i had the same setup on my Ramair for a good 6 months.

The temp sensor is ziptied to what i think is the outer butterfly axle between rear and middle throttle bodies , you can see it in this pic
Thanks

Agree with @Wrecka here.
The crankcase breather is indeed a waste of a PITA!
I just stuffed some foam in the hole, which I occasionally remove and clean.
Did this after the motoer was new in 2012 and have never found grease or slime on the tools I now keep in the old filter box.

That single or double pop you get is probably never going away, learn to love it or fight for hours/days trying g to find a solution that may never be found.

Probably not the answer you were after but it is what is when working with only partially tune able ecus.

Back