Tuneecu Problem ..what happened?

I don't understand the whole base tune concept. As long as you are applying a tune designed to fit the correct model bike....roadster, touring, or classic and the correct type ECU...ECUs are different between models, why would it matter what tune you upload to the ECU.

The way you are talking you have to upload the original base map tune back on the bike each time before you can upload or overlay a different tuning. That doesn't make sense. As for the age of the tune, I had no problem putting the old Wayne Tripp on my 2015. It went on without issues. I could only see the original base map being needed is you had a failed or corrupt install.

Oversimplifying but you're not wrong.

The undocumented mid year change in the ECU on roadsters mid 2014 marked a division of functionality. Any tunes built prior to that wont work on post update bikes and vice versa.

Each tune is built on the basis of a Triumph tune and modified from there to fit each bike by the owner, which is what I mean by base tune. For example, a 20355 map will not work in a post mid 2014 bike whos equivelant base tune is a 20776 basis. This is why on this page they are divided by VIN #:
Triumph_OEM_Tune_list. 3 & 4 Cyl. models

Touring models are different which, as I understand it for touring models (since I don't own one), you can flash anything to any bike as long as it was a touring base tune.

Im not sure if you understand CNC programing but ig so look at it this way. There is a copy of the program stored in the ecu. The ecu pulls up a copy that it runs and adapts/compensates /makes adjustments. Its what your running the main program is stored in a library in the ecu. So a recover pulls forward a copy from the library after it cleans up thr bad fata from a partial down load. Once its done its work it allowd you to to reload the map. There is a lot more involved but I am trying to simplify it to laymen terms. Right now I can not say whether your down load failed or if you were loading a map for the wrong ecu serial number.

Hope this helps. Oh and don't sit the laptop on the bike where it can fall off and hit the garage floor. Its takes longer to recover because you have to wait for a new hard drive to be shipped to you from Dell :D :D

Oversimplifying but you're not wrong.

The undocumented mid year change in the ECU on roadsters mid 2014 marked a division of functionality. Any tunes built prior to that wont work on post update bikes and vice versa.

Each tune is built on the basis of a Triumph tune and modified from there to fit each bike by the owner, which is what I mean by base tune. For example, a 20355 map will not work in a post mid 2014 bike whos equivelant base tune is a 20776 basis. This is why on this page they are divided by VIN #:
Triumph_OEM_Tune_list. 3 & 4 Cyl. models

Touring models are different which, as I understand it for touring models (since I don't own one), you can flash anything to any bike as long as it was a touring base tune.

I understand and that makes sense...I did not know there had been a mid year change in the ECU in 2014 which explains the issue. Owning the touring model, I don't always concern myself with the roadsters changes. Although I do follow many issues that may be common to the Rocket.

Aaaaahhh!..hang on..I'll read it again....I will get it...
and page 12/16 in the tune ecu manual has the information on failed down load recovery should start automatically but it also tells you how to do it manually. Incidentally it does state it it tune ecu must have a good map in it and up. And the best is a OEM map. I think this is a good suggestion in case you have a corrupt map. I would put it on here but even though there is not half naked girls on it. posting it violates the sites copyright rules :)

Last edited:
Just picked my bike up from the dealers this morning. They did a diagnostic check and loaded a suitable tune. The bike runs nice again thankfully with no backfire on decel at all. I will overlay my PCV tune today as it is a pure and smooth tune.
Thanx to you guys for the insight into tuneecu and i will be getting more familiar with it in the future...live and learn...

Back