Tune Clarify

Quote.We are also looking at ways to defeat the EPROM so that the TuneBoy tunes stay "put". Right now... it seems like if you make a change with TuneBoy it works for a week or so and then it slips right back into its old nasty habits. Then you have to redo it and go through the cycle again. We have two theories to test... we just don't have the time..
I thought that once the tune went in with tuneboy that it stayed there(I am sure it is not meant to delearn ,or loose these settings.)
Have you spoken to Wayne on this????
I would but I'm not his favorite person right now.

No... I haven't talked to Wayne. I'm just going off of what we have been seeing, but others have eluded to it here and there. One reason I want to keep the PC III on there is the accelerator pump. I actually think that the accelerator pump is part of the Triumph fuel map and the PC III lets you play with it. As far as I know the TuneBoy has no provision to tap into that. I'm sure if you asked Wayne about it... oh, never mind :D

I'm just playing with stuff... that's how you learn. I may be going down the wrong path (geeze... that's never happened before... has it?:eek: ) but maybe I'll stumble across something or figure some of this out... it's all good...:D

Basically in the areas in the A/F map where the ECU goes into open loop it appears that possibly the ECU adds its own fuel trim settings that eventually lean the bike back out in those areas even though we added fuel in fuel maps. Not 100% sure just a theory but a few have experienced popping return on decel after running for quite a while without it occurring. Like I said just a theory could be other factors.

Wayne has suggested forcing adaptions (12 minute tune done through Tuneboy) when this happens to wipe what the ECU has 'learned' However I don't want to have to do that every couple hundred of miles.

Supposedly, the PCIII trim gets rid of the popping indefinitey by fattening it up in the low end. If the ECU is learning to over-ride the L maps based on the closed loop O2 sensor, why doesn't it learn to do the same thing when you put a PCIII in?

Yeah... What he said.. maybe... :D But it kinda seems to do that... doesn't it?

I remember when the rumors about PC III started to circulate and the people at DynoJet said it would be out in a few weeks... which turned into months, almost as if they were having a problem with it. When it finally does come out it has a O2 sensor controller that none of the other motorcycles used and I always wondered about that....

Pig9r said:
Because the PCIII prevents the ECU from going into open loop and disables the O2 sensor.

That makes sense. Hard to believe something as simple as the PCIII trim can substitute for something so complicated (L map, 14.57 A/F in the L map region of TP).

Last edited:
Back