I think you missed the point of my post, just because someone holds a certain job doesn't mean they don't like to have a little fun. I never said I was above the law and I don't ride around like some 18 year old squid, but when opportunity presents itself, I seek a little gratification. Same reason you ride a Rocket and not a Vespa. Same reason you go 180 mph on a sled.

We are all human and like to push the envelope on occasion because it feels good. Same reason PF, a motorcycle safety instructor, may want to increase performance on his Rocket. It's fun. Society gets too caught up in what people do for a living. One of the first things people ask when you meet them is "what do you do for a living?" From that automatic generalizations are made and people expect you to act a certain way especially when you tell them you are a cop. I spent four years undercover and looked similar to PF, minus the tats, and I was treated poorly by the general public because of my appearance, it's not like a uniform that you can just take off, you have to live it 24 hours a day. So I have experienced both extremes and I have learned it is important to realize just because you perform a certain job, doesn't mean you have to miss out on some of the thrills in life or the job will get to you.

I am not getting paid 24 hours a day, I am not riding my bike at 100 mph (or more:D ) while on duty or in uniform, and if there arises a problem from the occasional twist of the wrist then I will rightfully so suffer the consequences just as the "average citizen" but unlike the average citizen, I can also be subject to discipline at work. I am sure it is the same for PF. But aside from the occasional traffic infraction, I try to set a good example, and when situations have called for it I have acted in the full capacity of my job while off-duty.

Being ignorant of the law on public roads is asking for a trip to the morgue. I've played roulette more than once and won, but we can loose (lose) at any time in the blink of an eye.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have witnessed the consequence side, in my profession, on many occasions. And such experiences is what keeps us reasonable most of the time.

When I ride with Tom and he takes off and I am following him at 110 mph I don't write him a ticket and when I do the same he doesn't place me under citizens arrest. Because at that time we are just two guys who enjoy riding our Rockets and not just a cop and auto tech riding motorcycles. But if I ever have the pleasure of riding with you Flip, you'll have to catch me before you can place me under citizens arrest.

And you can't tell me you haven't gone over 100mph on your Rocket on a public road either. If you even try to your status as a Rocket Captain should be revoked, permanently.

Of course as a moderator, it's your prerogative to delete this post if you don't like it and I suspect you will not (like) it. Sometimes confrontations can be a bitter pill to swallow.

There is no confrontation here, just me explaining why you are wrong. :D Just realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even people like me. If PF or I choose to live life a little and do what we each enjoy, so be it, as long as we don't infringe on other's individual rights and we are able to perform our jobs effectively what's the harm? Which brings me to the point of my initial post, your opinion aside, what does PF's job have to do with his purchase of a tuneboy? Maybe he wants to correct the speedo so he will be sure he is not exceeding the speed limit. Or maybe he wants to be the very responsible MSI you think he is and wants to load one of the German or French tunes that limits power to 100 hp.

Last edited:
I think we were just urging PF to ride his Rocket for awhile to learn how to set it up to best suit his personal needs and desires. It is hard to guess what your bike needs to personalize it before you have ridden it. We were trying to save PF some money on accessories he may not need or want once he has a few Rocket miles under his belt.

I think we all see a little irony in a riding instructior setting up the most powerful stock bike for more power, but this is not a personal attack.

I was a bit disappointed myself to learn that the Rocket is detuned in first and second gears, but once I rode it for awhile, I see that this suits me fine. I do not want to replace the rear tire every 5,000 miles.

I will not be going fast anymore, it hurts way too much for too long when you land.

Last edited:
Right hand wrist spasm syndrome...

Piggr:

I've never been 180 on the ThunderCat. 158. 158 six inches off the ice feels like 200.

Your answers are well taken. We all suffer from the wrist spasm on occasion. The only know treatment is to whack it.:D

For the life of me though, I still can't comprehend why a motorcycle safety instructor would even consider taking a perfectly tractable bike that's quiet and stealthy and make it noisy and more audacious. It must be the potato bike rubbing off. Potato bikers always tout "loud pipes save lives". It's really...loud pipes make people mad. It's just like the big bass speakers kids put in cars today.....noise pollution.

Just because you are a MSI or anything else doesn't mean you don't have the same testosterone running through your veins as any other SOB.:bch:

I have never been 158 on land, I couldn't even imagine on ice. Down in this part of the country snow mobiles are scare. It wasn't until two years ago I rode on one, it was over 650cc's and it was a two-stroke, holy ****, is all I can say.

Last edited:
For the life of me I cant figure out why what I do to my bike is any of your concern. And by the way I never stated I want my bike to be noisy I said I wanted a deeper sound. What I dont understand is what does having a certain sound coming from a bike has to do with being a MSF Instructor?

Freak

I have never been 158 on land, I couldn't even imagine on ice. Down in this part of the country snow mobiles are scare. It wasn't until two years ago I rode on one, it was over 650cc's and it was a two-stroke, holy ****, is all I can say.

Piggr:

Mine was, I say was because I sold it. The older I get, the less I like the cold. Especially with my frostbitten face and fingers. Anyway, mine was a 1000cc 3 cylinder case reed inducted Arctic Cat with 220 tungsten carbide picks in the track for traction. Sort of like screws in bike tires for ice racing (another crazy sport). The 1000 was a water cooled 2 stroke though the sled manufacturers are starting to build 4 stroke sleds now to meet EPA emission requirements. It's very hard to equal the power to weight ratio using a 4 stroke besides, without very sophisticated fuel management systems, 2 strokes will always start and run better in very cold temperatures encountered while snowmobiling.

My uncle years ago had a sled I beleive it was a Rupp, he stated it would do 120 or 140 and would do wheelies on ice, however he wouldnt let me ride it I was only a kid. Being that low to the ground that fast has to be unreal feeling. And with the windchill crazy cold.

Freak

Wheellllllllllllllllie.........

PF:

The T'Cat would wheelie to 100 so long as you could get traction. You'd better have had it pointed straight because it had no steering as long as the ski's were off the ground.

You never wanted to be behind it when the throttle was opened either. Those picks would throw a rooster tail of anything, ice, dirt, snow, sticks, gravel, anything under the track as they sought traction.

PF, if you do not exceed the speed limit then what is the purpose in spending hundreds of dollars on a Tune Boy? The Rocket is already the fastest thing or as fast from 0-60 MPH.

The hard part of getting the most out of a stock Rocket is keeping the rear tire from breaking loose and spinning. You may just spin the rear tire more and actually go slower off the line with a Tune boy eliminting the 1st. and 2nd. gear detune.

Once you hit third gear on a Rocket you have already exceeded the legal speed limit in Michigan.

Seems like you ought to ride one of these things first before spending thousands on accessories. Stock it has twice the HP and torque of a Harley big twin with no additional weight.

Just my 2 cents worth, it is your bike and we always should buy the bike that excites us most.

If you install the Tuneboy, you can correct the speedometer so you'll know when you have reached 60 mph. I opened the 2ndaries 100% in all gears and never smoke the rear tire. I exceed the speed limit in my Subaru so why not with the Rocket? The Tuneboy at least gives you some control over how the runs.

Last edited:
Back