You ride the way you choose I will ride the way I choose. No stories no nothing. I have a 2003 Road King with Branch Heads and Pistons, Screaming Eagle carb and cams, 93 ft/lbs of torque. And yes I am buying a Rocket to get from point A to point B I am buying it for the handling and the way it looks and rides.

Freak

I am sorry, but the comments strike me as coming from as one who has not been in the USA for a long while. I am sorry for being so rude and brash.

Clarification Issued

PF:

Let me clarify BanjoBart's statements.

Let me start out by saying that we all three live in the Wolverine State, you in Kazoo, Bart in Lansing and me in Adrian (for lack of a bigger town nearby).

Michigan is a No-Fault state with a maximum posted speed limit of 65 mph. We all know that the Michigan State Police are tolerant of a speed somewhat higher than that on freeways which is a good thing.

Michigan insurers are not tolerant of speeding tickets on your license and will increase your insurance rate appreciably with the addition of moving violations, ie: speeding tickets.

The State of Michigan requires insurance on all motor vehicles which are operated on public roadways. It also requires proof of valid insurance when purchasing or renewing license tags.

Because Michigan is a no-fault state and has a Catastrophic Coverage Fund, not every insurance company desires to do business with Michigan residents, which means our choices of carriers and competitive rates are limited.

In light of the above facts why would you want to get more power out of a machine that already makes your potato bike look like a Vespa with a fouled spark plug? A bike with enough power and top speed to completely eliminate your insurability in a matter of minutes and in turn cost you your license tags on your bike(s) as well as your cage.

Learn to utilize the power output from the stock R3 before you modify it. Your statements completely contradict what a rational MSA Instructor would say. I'd have second thoughts about allowing any neophyte rider I know take an instruction course from someone with your tack.

If you want to go fast and completely eliminate your insurability quickly, forget the R3 and get a Hyabusa. 190 out of the box and enough acceleration to suck your beard off.:roll:

Motorcycles are exempt from Michigan's No Fault insurance law but the insurer of your car will jack up your car rates when they notice speeding tickets, (from a bike just the same as a car). I know, my rate went up $100 a month a year ago. All it takes is one little ticket a year.

Wow Flip, I didnt know I wasnt allowed to ask a simple question about a part I have been told about. First of all let me clarify I have never stated that I would be speeding, and do not intend to. Second of all how I spend my income is my choice. Thirdly I am a very good MSF Instructor and have been for over 5 years with over 2000 students taught. I have never stated I wanted the bike I have to go fast, I have asked questions about sound mainly, the rest is ok, power etc but my main questions have to do with sound and the ability to maybe save some headaches down the road by having things installed when I pick the bike up. By the way the highest posted speed limit in Michigan is not 65 it is 70.

Freak

Last edited:
So Sidecar, why do you own a Rocket when a Vespa would provide the same function?

Your statements completely contradict what a rational MSA Instructor would say. I'd have second thoughts about allowing any neophyte rider I know take an instruction course from someone with your tack.

I guess I fall into the hypocritical boat too. I have been a cop for 8 years and I can count on one hand the amount of times I have taken the Rocket out and not hit 100. That being said, Flip would you refuse to take a ticket from me?:D

Last edited:
Q&A

So Sidecar, why do you own a Rocket when a Vespa would provide the same function?

Simply because a Vespa isn't comfortable. However, a Vespa is collectible. If, given a choice and I had the money laying around I'd have bought an MV Agusta and if Kenny Dreer had indeed produced the Norton 955 Roadster, I'd be riding that instead. However, 4.99 financing on a bike with a bloated tank ain't too shabby.:eek: The R3 wasn't my ultimate choice, it was a choice of financial preference.

I guess I fall into the hypocritical boat too. I have been a cop for 8 years and I can count on one hand the amount of times I have taken the Rocket out and not hit 100. That being said, Flip would you refuse to take a ticket from me?:D

But Piggr, are you a cop or a meter maid?

In retrospect, if you are a cop and not a meter maid, you should have better sense. No one is above the law especially if they get caught. Besides, the old adage goes "you can't outrun a Motorola". If we were on equal mounts, it would come down to who had bigger balls. If I had the superior mount, I'd spank you and laugh about it. That's what it's all about, plain and simple. I've never been adverse to screwing it down and keeping it there and I know just how fast my R3 will go in 5th on the ignition limiter. Same holds true for my T100. My last sled would run out at 158 on the ice and 0-60 in 2 seconds flat, acceleration that your R3 will never attain no matter what modifications you perform. I love speed. Ask Bart. I even scare him sometimes, but I've promised my wife and his that we'd slow down, drive like old farts if you will. Sounds like you should heed the same advice. Being ignorant of the law on public roads is asking for a trip to the morgue. I've played roulette more than once and won, but we can loose at any time in the blink of an eye.

Being a good cop means upholding the law, protecting the citizens and setting an exemplary example and 100 mph stints are anything but a good example.

As far as taking a ticket from you, if I was breaking the law in a motor vehicle or a motorcycle, lets say, the basic speed law and you caught me by leagal means (not radar in the rain), I would take a ticket. However, if you were breaking the basic speed law and through undisputable witnesses I caught you, I'd make a citizens arrest and make sure you were prosecuted to the fullest extent of the applicable law.

If you are a meter maid, you probably have no sense at all so this discussion is moot.

Of course as a moderator, it's your perrogative to delete this post if you don't like it and I suspect you will not (like) it. Sometimes confrontations can be a bitter pill to swallow.

Back