Apologies to @RICHARD ALBANS for derailing your thread. I really am curious and happy to learn what computer magic you can do. I am not a fan of ECUs myself but do recognize their worth when tuning a bike to its fullest potential; if it can be unlocked...
I bet you still mourn the demise of the Amals ;) :D

I bet you still mourn the demise of the Amals ;) :D
I was the one who turned Amals 34mm Speedway carbs into 'Thee' carb to have for Prostock in the 1980's by boring them to 40mm and linking a 4 into 1 cable to them. They made a lot of power. I built a 1500 GSX motor and we made 212whp back then. I've been there and done most stuff. I was the first to make the 71.50mm Busa cranks, Bob carpenter used to buy them off me back in 2000. I made the first and only 1900 busa in 2005. My first supercharged bike was back in 1973. loads of stuff was started by me over the last 38 years of TTS Performance.

I was the one who turned Amals 34mm Speedway carbs into 'Thee' carb to have for Prostock in the 1980's by boring them to 40mm and linking a 4 into 1 cable to them. They made a lot of power. I built a 1500 GSX motor and we made 212whp back then. I've been there and done most stuff. I was the first to make the 71.50mm Busa cranks, Bob carpenter used to buy them off me back in 2000. I made the first and only 1900 busa in 2005. My first supercharged bike was back in 1973. loads of stuff was started by me over the last 38 years of TTS Performance.

And this is why I read your posts Richard, you know what you are talking about.
I have certain knowledge on setting up and tuning Engines, not to your extent, but certainly enough to know that there are so many out there who don't have a clue.
Lets not mention the "12 minute tune" who the heck ever put "tune" in that statement ?

Interesting comment about the AMAL's, not the most brilliant carb , but can certainly work very well.

Anyway, watching and reading with interest.

My memory isn't what it used to be.. I placed the Amals and Dell'Ortos in the 70's maybe early 80's before Mikuni and Keihin took over :)

Just an update. I'm having a well deserved week off. But I've been informed that the reground cams are in the shop and Tim has started the refit. It will need a dry build to get the shim requirements measured up, they are just out of the Triumph range so they have to be ordered up. I would expect the engine will be ready for me to dial the cams in for when I get back next week. That will be fun as the water pump runs on the end of the crank and I need to bolt a degree disk on the end.

My memory isn't what it used to be.. I placed the Amals and Dell'Ortos in the 70's maybe early 80's before Mikuni and Keihin took over :)
Still a fan of the Dell'Ortos but they are fussy about float height/angle. Many Many years ago I knew an OLD THEN guy who fitted a bank of 6 41mm Dell'ortos to a D-Type Jag replica (really a built from new D-Type). 6 individual accelerator pumps - BUT when it ran well - oh boy!. We'd stand lookout on the dual carriageway so he could take it for a blast - no licence and no registration and NO silencer.

I ordered an OBD cable, lets see if we can re-map the ecu, a very good friend of mine does magic on cars and the dealer can't even tell by obd diagnostics that the software has been altered, unles they drive it!! had my Chrysler 300C done by him (his first time on the Merc 320CDI) in Belgium they had 211hp and 510Nm (376ft/lbs) of torque, after re-map it was 265hp and 760Nm (560ft/lbs) of torque, I would have to get a dyno run before and after at another place as he can't put bikes on his dyno

Last edited:
What is happening in the dirt bike world is just complete replacement of the factory ECU with a new one.
I replaced the stock ECU on my KTM 500EXC with a Vortex unit and there is a night and day difference in power and rideability. I'm certain it would take a lot of development and not be cheap, buy it's nice to just eliminate the factory from process.

Back