TTS Blower spigot query

space

Standard Bore
Got a question, hope someone can help. Just fitting the spigot to crank - done the drilling and everything looks good. The question is; the tolerance between the 12mm stud and the drive spigot - the one I've got is very very tight, basically size for size. Is this correct or should there be some clearance if so how much?? Thanks in advance.

HI this is this new set up , This is different to my set up. I think it is to help stop the stud vibrating. cant see why that would matter as they all turn to gether. sorry cant be more help

Are they a snug fit with them OFF the crankshaft - in other words, just sliding the stud thru the spigot?? Should be...no clearance, but NOT tight! "Very tight" sounds TOO tight to me.

If it's snug, but not tight, when off..... then you fit it to the crankshaft and it's tighter - the drilling's a touch off and the stud's not straight.

Have you put the stud (only) into the shaft, then turn the motor by hand with a dial indicator on the stud to see if it's straight?

Pete's right about the vibrating - Richard TTS said it was a question of harmonic vibrations, & the snug fit damped them down. Doesn't he also say to put green Loctite on the stud when assembling, with the same goal??

Thanks Peter. I'm not sure if its correct or not. At first the stud wouldn't fit into the spigot. The stud is .03-.04 smaller diameter at one end than the other, and the bore of the spigot was less at the gear end than the other. The stud wouldn't fit. Had to emery the bore for a while to get it to fit. But its very tight. I just thought that maybe needs to be some clearance to account for heat expansion. I've got spigot on now and its looking good.

Thanks Ruzzle. It wouln't fit out of the kit. It does now though. Sounds like tight is good - just wasn't sure because of expansion under heat, but vibration is obviously to be avoided.

Will check staightness with an indicator on Monday, if possible. Haven't loctighted it yet. Just wanted to clear up the clearance issue first.

You were gonna tell me whether TTS are supplying guides now to assist in drilling and tapping the nose of the shaft?????

:pullhairout:
Quite - I've already decided that IF I decide to fit one - TTS will have the privilege of fitting it too. Seems a bit, well, silly. Wont cost much to make and most buyers would happily pay for it. Most of us however don't have a lathe to make one up. I do - but that's beside the point.

Back