Hydraulic clutch release went pop

R-III-R Turbo

Mine is the biggest :)
Ride
2472cc Supercharged Carpenter Rocket III Stroker
So I'm pootling along in 5th and coming up to a roundabout, go to change gear and find my clutch lever is limp.
So i had to take that roundabout in 5th gear :eek:

Worked the throttle then to get the tranny to that nice unburdened point in between being pushed by the motor and being dragged by the back wheel/road, and pushed the shifter lever down (while wincing) to get it down into 2nd.

Managed to get it home in 2nd without stopping :eek:

Anyway took it apart and this is what i found;

upload_2019-9-23_18-39-28.png

upload_2019-9-23_18-49-26.png

Noticed the other o-ring on the slave was saggy

upload_2019-9-23_18-40-16.png

Master cyl reservoir had crystal type amber deposits on it's edge, a grubby gasket

upload_2019-9-23_18-41-46.png

Reservoir fluid was black cloudy, a black paste had gathered in the corners, and little melted bits of rubber were stuck to the walls

upload_2019-9-23_18-43-29.png

upload_2019-9-23_18-44-26.png

This is the fluid I'd used, 3 years ago

upload_2019-9-23_18-52-23.png

Looks to me like the fluid was melting the rubber, and it was no longer able for the pressure it took to pull the pressure plate forward against the Carpenter springs.

Soooo... has anyone ever seen this kind of thing before?

Is it dodgy fluid?
Reaction with something?

Need to prevent it happening again.

r u sure that it takes brake fluid in there??
or maybe the orings made of bad material:(

Looks like the seals used are not ester resistant. I’ve seen this many times. That stuff eats paint, many rubber/plastic seals. I’d say, new seals and a non ester fluid.

So I'm pootling along in 5th and coming up to a roundabout, go to change gear and find my clutch lever is limp.
So i had to take that roundabout in 5th gear :eek:

Worked the throttle then to get the tranny to that nice unburdened point in between being pushed by the motor and being dragged by the back wheel/road, and pushed the shifter lever down (while wincing) to get it down into 2nd.

Managed to get it home in 2nd without stopping :eek:

Anyway took it apart and this is what i found;

upload_2019-9-23_18-39-28.png

upload_2019-9-23_18-49-26.png

Noticed the other o-ring on the slave was saggy

upload_2019-9-23_18-40-16.png

Master cyl reservoir had crystal type amber deposits on it's edge, a grubby gasket

upload_2019-9-23_18-41-46.png

Reservoir fluid was black cloudy, a black paste had gathered in the corners, and little melted bits of rubber were stuck to the walls

upload_2019-9-23_18-43-29.png

upload_2019-9-23_18-44-26.png

This is the fluid I'd used, 3 years ago

upload_2019-9-23_18-52-23.png

Looks to me like the fluid was melting the rubber, and it was no longer able for the pressure it took to pull the pressure plate forward against the Carpenter springs.

Soooo... has anyone ever seen this kind of thing before?

Is it dodgy fluid?
Reaction with something?

Need to prevent it happening again.
Art, curious is DOT4 what TTS recommended? The slave is not subject to temps like brakes are, thus a standard ATF would work well.

ATF if what I was going to suggest, or DOT 4 and Viton Orings for prevention. Sorry to hear of your master failure, at least it made it home on its' own power without incident!

Last edited:
There are 0 instructions from TTS on the hydraulic clutch. But I've asked the question and await a reply.

The slave cylinder is made by Oberon, the CLU 1125. It is made for a Buell 1125 R and 1190 RR and RS.
They say to use what the bike manufacturer specifies, and from what I can find, a Buell 1125 R uses DOT4.

AFT if what I was going to suggest, or DOT 4 and Viton Orings for prevention. Sorry to hear of your master failure, at least it made it home on its' own power without incident!

when i have worked on them in cars (not to many) they always used atf
or like u say get better o'rings

Back