Triumphs from Thailand?

USMC-R3

.040 Over
Does anybody know what the deal is with Triumph making more and more models in Thailand? Isn't the whole "Made in England" thing kind of a corner stone for the brand? Just wondering if this makes anybody else pissed off.:mad:

I own a R3 Roadster and was thinking of adding a Thruxton to my colllection cause I missed that iconic Triumph look that my old Speedmaster had, and then come to find out all the modern classics and even other models including the new Tiger are made in Thailand.

I figure it's got to do with cheaper labor or something but seriously, is that really where Triumph should be heading? I'm no HD fan by any means, but at least they can still claim that their bikes are soley made in the USA. What gives?

When I bought my Rocket in 08 the salesman mentioned to me that Triumph was opening a factory in Thailand,

I told him it was crucial to me buying a Triumph that it was made in the U.K rather than Asia. He said that part of the VIN# shows where the bike was made, although I dont remember which part.

I was very disapointed to hear that, that was the direction they were heading as well.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into that Harley made in USA belief. They may be mostly assembled here, but from the cheapest available parts sourced from all over the globe.

CAD

edited to add:
Triumph is just doing business and trying to compete in an ever tightening world market, I don't like it anymore than you do, but I can't blame them.

CAD

All the twins are made in Thailand. Some of the Rocket parts are too (been discussed in previous threads).

The Thrux, Scrambler, Bonnie and T100 are 100% oriental. Been that way for a few years now. The only way to get a 'Made in England' Bonnie or Thrux is to buy a used, pre '07 one.

i think triumph have two plants in thailand. according to JOHN BLOOR who owns triumph its because they would'nt be able to compete on price with the competion other wise . both the plants have a number of key british employees who oversee the running and quality of products from the factories. he chose thailand because they have a good work ethic , japan uses thailand for alot of their motorcycle parts manufacturing and they don't do anything without extensive research. also the staff have all the same benifits and oppertunities as the workers in england. as for H.D being made in the U.S.A, don't kid yourself. majority of the parts are made in CHINA now . judging by the quality of chinese made jap m/c rip-offs i'm glad triumph chose thailand.

Harley's are about as all American as Honda. Showa suspension, Keihin fuel injection.. most all electronic parts.. even engine castings aren't cast here.

I too much preferred when Triumph's were only made in England ( also using many outsourced parts ) but the thing I like about Triumph more than anything is Triumph is owned solely by one guy. There is no board of investors to appeal to. No production quotas to be met to statisfy share holders.. Yes, I'm sure Mr. Bloor, or his appointed CEO has goals they set, but Triumph can set it's own goals and approve it's own designs without outside intervention besides from it's own bean counters..

I was in the Triumph factory 2 in Hinckley on Monday (6th June) It was very interesting. The guide said a few things that were interesting, I will try and get it all right.

Triumph are expanding rapidly, Factory 1 is basically a big warehouse and no bikes are made there. All the new models, R+D, concept/design is done in factory 2. The new models are all made in factory 2, When models are older the production is moved to Thailand and that includes all bonnevilles. This is simply to make room on the production line for the new stuff. He said the pass rate for bikes off the production line was highest at factory 2 at about 98% but it was lower at the other factories ( He said what it was but I can't remember)

What we did see on the engine prodution line was tiger800, thunderbird storm and rocket engines being made. The complete bikes were on an other line and it was mostly the new tigers with a few thunderbirds and one or two rockets.The guy said they were selling loads of the new tigers and they were being made to order, there is a waiting list to get one.

So if you want a Triumph that is made in England buy an early example of the bike or buy a new model.

Back