Triumph (Life Cycle) verses Harley

just my 2 pennies, but if I were the Dealer and had a customer looking for a black Heritage Softtail - I'd offer to take them over to the paint shop and get them excited about throwing some custom paint into the deal, bring in a artist that can do something the customer would associate it.

If one is going to spend that kind of money on a bike, and the "intended" utopia for all H-D owners is to eventually double their spend with customization, then why not take advantage of the situation. The customer ends up extremely pleased, HD moves a bit of inventory, and the dealer makes a few extra dollars.

Instead, the dealer appears to exhibit a mentality were they would rather stress themselves and lie to the customer --- than to tackle the issue head-on and come up with a solution. Either way, the customer perception is much more positive.

Regardless of the brand, dealers attempt to compensate by stating "my particular customers know what they want already" - which is just another way of stating that their minds were made up by something else (magazine, show, demo, & etc.) and there's no need to listen and understand what they want.

My first bike was an Adventurer, purchased after the dealer convinced me it would represent the best ownership experience for my skill level. He was right, I rode it frequently over several years and purchased every accessory item Triumph made for the Adventurer from his shop. I don't own it today, but was careful to sell it to the right buyer. He rides the bike more than I did.

I'll get off the soapbox now ...

Kalamazoo is one of the lucky towns I guess we have 3 Dealerships in town that carry everything from Honda, Harley, Triumph, Ducati, KTM, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc. Something for everyone I guess it is nice to stop at different places and check out the bikes.

Freak

Roots

Kalamazoo is the town where New York-born Orville H. Gibson founded "Gibson Musical Instruments" in 1856. In 1899, he and his staff moved to a new building, on 104 East Main. Three years later, a new company was incorporated, "Gibson Mandolin Guitar Manufacturing Company Ltd." Five private investors took the equity over, leaving Orville with a mere consultancy job. In 1915, his contract was... renegotiated. He had to step out but got monthly, lifetime, so-called "brand name" royalties in exchange for his disappearance. But poor Orville's life did not last long. Still single, he passed away in 1918, after two years under intensive psychiatric care. The five "business angels" had made a fortune in the meantime. And Gibson moved to new headquarters on Parson Street.

ARE THEY STILL THERE?

PS Any movie-maker looking for an extraordinary, pure 'Merican story?

Jamie

To the best of my knowledge Kazoo was also the home of Shakespear Rod & Reels. There facility was either in the same building or very very close.. They were there until the early/mid 70's

Gibson was purchased by a new owner, an induividual named Henry (not Henry Gibson) about 20 years ago. He has done an excellent job of reviving the company. The Parsons St. plant in Kazoo was sold about 20 years ago. Several former Gibson employees formed Heritage Guitar Co. and continue to make guitars at the old Parsons St. plant.

Gibson consolidated at the Nashville, Tennesee plant that was previously built to make electric guiatrs in a large quantity. Gibson also bought a small mandolin company in Bozeman, Montana to build quality acoustic fretted instruments.

Gibson will be around for a long time to come, but not at the old Parsons St. plant.

Shakespear has been closed for some time. Kalamazoo has several very large companies now or at one time: Pfizer, Used to have GM plant, Stryker, Checker Motors (Taxi's), to name a few.

Freak

Back