Triumph invest in UK R&D as volume production moves to Thailand

The mention of "ladyboys" by our Mr. @scot in exile reminds me of a visit when I was in college to the Wurlitzer piano factory in Corinth, Mississippi. A large plant, making mostly upright acoustic pianos, women (~800) were doing all the work (similar to beehive). The only men I saw was a plant manager stuck in an office, and about five big black men who provided the muscle to move the pianos around. Say what you will, but when women do assembly, there are fewer manufacturing errors, hence lower warranty claims or returns, and lower overall costs. This played out in spades in World War II production lines. And continues today in Asian electronics and garment manufacture.

Just so long as the QC is up to scratch I don’t really care where any of them are built to be honest, sure it would be nice for a British brand to be British built but unfortunately that’s the way of the world nowadays!

Well, according to what I've found on the internet, the FIRST character of the VIN is the country of manufacture. I suppose that is why our two Prius, and all Japanese motorcycles start with "J".

So after reading this it sounds like my 2020 Rocket 3 was built in Thailand. If that's the case then what the hell, they built a great bike!

"The move, announced to Triumph employees yesterday (February 20), will see the last remaining UK produced models – the Speed Triple and Tiger 1200 – join the rest of the range at the Chonburi, Thailand, production facilities. The net result for Hinckley is a reduction of around 2000 units per year, leaving only the high-end Triumph Factory Custom models and selected other special builds based on UK soil. The firm currently build around 65,000 bikes per year, with only 10% of that figure rolling out of the Hinckley facility."

Triumph invest in UK R&D as volume production moves to Thailand

Sure can't be any worse than the tranny British assemblers of years past!

Back