Treating a windshield??

technoguppy

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
All Rocket Captains...

I don't ride with a windshield on my Rocket III Classic but my wife has one on her Honda Shadow Aero.

She asked if I knew if there was a product that could be applied to the windshield to make bug removal easier?

I know Rain-X is not the way to go as it is a petroleum based product used on hard glass not the plastic of a windshield.

I read somewhere that Pledge can be useful but I am skeptical.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I've been using Plexus on all of my M/C windshields for years. Bugs seemingly are not hard to get off, when using Plexus again to clean them at the end of the day. I don't let the bugs stay on the windshield long enough to "bake on"

I took a tip from sidecar flip on my windshield..................Mix 1part water with 1 part hydrogen peroxide (50/50). It takes the bugs right off. What I have found is that after afew cleanings it is best to clean the windshield with an approved cleaner. But the mix really gets the road grime and bugs off very easily. Hope this helps!

mutt

Techno: One word: Lemon Pledge. OK, that's two words, but the stuff is inexpensive and works terrific on windscreens and using it makes bug removal easier. Works equally well on chrome. Try it. We trudge on.

When I didn't have special stuff, I got a paper towel wet and spread it out on the windshield, letting it "soak" the bugs off. Let it soak for about 2-3 minutes and they'll wipe right off. I have also found that at speed, say 100+, a bug will scratch the windscreen.

Rain X is fine for plastic, it was originally designed for plastic aircraft windows. I use it all the time and it works great. It fills in light scratches too like a wax ... there's another idea, you can wax the windshield when you was the bike. I use Simoniz liquid diamond on the whole bike, everything. It doesn't leave a residue and can be applied in direct sun to all parts of the bike including plastic, leather and rubber.

S1000 works great. Wash your bike and screen with it. When you have to remove bugs they will come off easily.

the rainx plus glass cleaner works really good. helps w/rain and pulls the bugs off easy every time you use it.

FWIW, Go to the Cee Bailey's windshield site, and read their recommended methods for cleaning a shield: nothing but cotton/micro fiber towels, and plain old water. Or maybe a little Tide detergent mixed in if really bad. Cautions against use of most of the recommendations in this thread.

I bought their shield, and follow their advice.

CW

Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish.
"Cleans and polishes all plastic, chrome, aluminum and painted surfaces"
I've used it all over my bike from day 1, and she's as lovely as ever.
Oh, and bugs wash off easily.

Back