TPS voltage readings in Tune ECU

I have a 2005 R3 still running the original TPS. Have a spare new one in case but never needed it. What i found was to not obsess over the 0.6 and 0.72 but the differential of 0.12V. This the TPS wears in the area. Initially i widened band from 0.60V and 0.74 but lately just wrnt 0.62 and 0.74 and this works just as well.

As per a previous post be real careful tightening up TPS.

Also make sure the 7mm nut on Stepper is not wound all the way in. If so back it off, do an adaption reset then reset tps and stepper.

The throttle hanging is a nuisance for sure but easily tuned out.

Update,

Thankyou to all responses- happy to gather any relevant info as this issue is driving me nuts! Or shall i say its character building!

Throttle linkages wd40’d
No issues with cables binding etc, there is appropriate free play at throttle

After last reset took for ride and no high idle but I am now getting high AFR values, like around 18-20 briefly on decel at 3% throttle and around 2200rpm - TPS is the only variable here thats been changed.

Have reset again, TPS is at .601 and stepper at .723, have reset the adaptation again, will run the 12 min tune thing tommorrow before trying riding it again.

Update:

did 12 min tune, TPS indicator light all good in tune ecu.

no longer getting lean running values but the idle hang is now back. Sits at 1300rpm for 20seconds after stopping then drops to normal..... I’m lost at this point... the TPS/stepper and the 12 minute tune are the only things getting readjusted so it’s something going on there.... I just can’t work out which?

Update:

did 12 min tune, TPS indicator light all good in tune ecu.

no longer getting lean running values but the idle hang is now back. Sits at 1300rpm for 20seconds after stopping then drops to normal..... I’m lost at this point... the TPS/stepper and the 12 minute tune are the only things getting readjusted so it’s something going on there.... I just can’t work out which?
I take it that if your measuring AFR values ypu have a PCV and AT? This lean run at 1 to 3% throttle periodically happens to me. If you are running a Power Commander blank (zero out) all map trims on the PCV in this range (or just the whole table as it will repopulate when running). This will solve this. I think the reason it leans out here is when you initially quickly twist the throttle the bike ECU puts a fuel squirt in (like a pumper on a holley) the PCV reads this and trims back the fuel trying to get the programmed AFR then stores this in the map file eventually leaning out down low.

I take it that if your measuring AFR values ypu have a PCV and AT? This lean run at 1 to 3% throttle periodically happens to me. If you are running a Power Commander blank (zero out) all map trims on the PCV in this range (or just the whole table as it will repopulate when running). This will solve this. I think the reason it leans out here is when you initially quickly twist the throttle the bike ECU puts a fuel squirt in (like a pumper on a holley) the PCV reads this and trims back the fuel trying to get the programmed AFR then stores this in the map file eventually leaning out down low.
Yes I have a PCv and at and the pod 300 display

the afr values are better after reset but the idle hang continues.... I’m wondering if it is the stepper? I can watch it go up and down as it surges on startup.... so it must be hanging as I come to stop?

Yes I have a PCv and at and the pod 300 display

the afr values are better after reset but the idle hang continues.... I’m wondering if it is the stepper? I can watch it go up and down as it surges on startup.... so it must be hanging as I come to stop?

OK Good.

To sort this, things to do are;

1. Balance the throttle bodies.

2. Go into the PCV and zero out the AFR trims as @R-III-R Turbo says above, as the lean running is definitely caused by this. If your handy with the software be careful how often you accept trims as due to the "pumper" issue that is not adjustable it will always lean out down low and the trims are cumulative. Wish I had a screenshot of this on mine as I did this last week @Paul Bryant had to listen to my frustrated phone calls when I couldn't figure out the issue.

3. On the PCV calibrate your Throttle position sensor (not so critical but easy and worth doing)

4. Lubricate carefully the throttle body mechanics.

5. Next check your idle stepper adjustment nut (7mm) and make sure its not wound all the way in, they seem to end up like this over time. If it is back it off a couple of turns.

6. Do the adaption reset.

7. Adjust the TPS and ISM. Try for the 0.6V and 0.72V. This should be well out now after backing off the stepper nut and doing an adaption reset. If it seems good test ride it, don't just start from cold as it may hang on the revs as its cold.

8. Ride bike the see if it still hangs. If it doesn't have a beer. If it does try widening, or moving the voltage as per my previous post to either 0.62 and 0.74 or try 0.60 and 0.74 see if either of these works for you.

If this doesn't work I don't know what's wrong with it, as this has always worked for me over the last 14 years. I had to do all this last week as coming back from the SI on a trip it started playing up and I couldn't get a connection with the tablet I had. I feel your pain as it had run so well for so long I forgot about some basics. I was blaming the fuel pump and all sorts of things.

Let us know if its solved.

ok,

throttle bodies are perfectly balanced
throttle position sensor and stepper motor calibrated on some expensive machine at a local motorcycle mechanic
Hanging stopped, bike was running badly lean at around 2000rpms
Reflashed tune back to the powertripp derestriction tune.... no longer lean but certainly not tuned.... seems I can only run the Nels tune if my tps is adjusted for a slightly lower voltage but it causes other issues so will have to just abandon that.
Will be sending bike back for dyno tuning.... see how it goes, failing that may end up converting back to stock and putting the lms exhaust up for sale if I can’t get it running right on dyno....

ok,

throttle bodies are perfectly balanced
throttle position sensor and stepper motor calibrated on some expensive machine at a local motorcycle mechanic
Hanging stopped, bike was running badly lean at around 2000rpms
Reflashed tune back to the powertripp derestriction tune.... no longer lean but certainly not tuned.... seems I can only run the Nels tune if my tps is adjusted for a slightly lower voltage but it causes other issues so will have to just abandon that.
Will be sending bike back for dyno tuning.... see how it goes, failing that may end up converting back to stock and putting the lms exhaust up for sale if I can’t get it running right on dyno....
Any luck with your issue? I've been having the same issue with the hanging idle. Same as yours, except it will jump back and forth between 900ish and 1200 ish for durations while stopped. I've been wondering if I need a new TPS or if it's tune related. I believe I'm running a Claviger tune. If I'm not mistaken, it began shortly after the new tune upload, but no other tune has worked as well for my setup. The hanging is really annoying. I'll try some of the recommendations above but I'm not so hopeful. I'm not great at the tuning/adjustment aspect. May have to ride out a few hours to Sacramento, there looks to be a tuning shop with some Rocket experience.

Back