There is a. 45 sec yt video that show a tors that the guy put a larger diameter pipe in it. It sounded pretty good, but to explanation on how he did it. I need to look at mine and think about possibilities, but its been too cold. Itll be in the 60s tomorrow so ill ride it to work and then examine it.

All kidding aside, whats absorbing the sound. A straight thru pipe, inside the muffler body, is the same a a straight pipe. Right?
It's packed round the outside , this gives it the deep rumble , if it wasn't it would have a higher pitch tin can sound . There is no baffle in the pipes and the diameter is a little larger inside .

That's called baffles.

in leu of a better video:

A baffle is a restriction or disruption of air flow in the pipe , TORS is a non restricted over size inner pipe running through the inside of the exhaust . The outer casing of the exhaust of course is packed to suppress the sound .

Last edited:
A baffle is a restriction or disruption of air flow in the pipe , TORS is a non restricted over size inner pipe running through the inside of the exhaust . The outer casing of the exhaust of course is packed to suppress the sound .
Oh. Now i get it. Id still like to modify, but id hate to mutilate perfectly good tors. Is the power increase really noticible by putting a new exhaust? I installed ram air and the appropriate tune, it seems to have more intake noise than power. I know i need to get to a dyno but that'll take some pre-planning because thats 300 miles away.

Oh. Now i get it. Id still like to modify, but id hate to mutilate perfectly good tors. Is the power increase really noticible by putting a new exhaust? I installed ram air and the appropriate tune, it seems to have more intake noise than power. I know i need to get to a dyno but that'll take some pre-planning because thats 300 miles away.
Precisely , the TORS don't need messing about with . Not sure about the power increase as I bought the bike with TORS already installed . I have installed Ramair myself and it definitely breaths better and is smoother on the throttle , maybe a slight increase in power but the one thing i did that did make an improvement in power not masses but noticeable was to install a Tuneecu download . The one I downloaded was from Martin-Brighton-uk he is on your thread . He had his bike professionally tuned then shared it on this site , For me it works really well so no need for me to pay to have it tuned I am happy with that .
No doubt a professional tune is the best thing to do but for me I am ok .
My bike is 2014 Roadster so Martins tune fitted my bike . You would need to look for a tune on here that fitted your set up and your bike a 2008 touring , TORS and Ramair.
Depends how far you want to go as your bike will have a Cat in the crossover , this is a big restricter and others have bought the cat delete to fit in its place . That would probably would see the most gain ( TORS , Ramair Cat delete ) for the least outlay .
Of course if you want to go further it would be Viking or zard exhaust and headers with a pro tune , its all costs though and where do you stop . Supercharger , Turbo .😄😄

Precisely , the TORS don't need messing about with . Not sure about the power increase as I bought the bike with TORS already installed . I have installed Ramair myself and it definitely breaths better and is smoother on the throttle , maybe a slight increase in power but the one thing i did that did make an improvement in power not masses but noticeable was to install a Tuneecu download . The one I downloaded was from Martin-Brighton-uk he is on your thread . He had his bike professionally tuned then shared it on this site , For me it works really well so no need for me to pay to have it tuned I am happy with that .
No doubt a professional tune is the best thing to do but for me I am ok .
My bike is 2014 Roadster so Martins tune fitted my bike . You would need to look for a tune on here that fitted your set up and your bike a 2008 touring , TORS and Ramair.
Depends how far you want to go as your bike will have a Cat in the crossover , this is a big restricter and others have bought the cat delete to fit in its place . That would probably would see the most gain ( TORS , Ramair Cat delete ) for the least outlay .
Of course if you want to go further it would be Viking or zard exhaust and headers with a pro tune , its all costs though and where do you stop . Supercharger , Turbo .😄😄
Yeah, my tune is nels tune 20368. I too got my bike the way it is. I only installed the ram air and updated the tune. It runs smooth with no popping ever. It just seems the torque is not mind blowing. I think it needs a little intake restriction, although i have nothing to base that theory on. Most people on here say 100% open secondaries are the way to go(which my tune provides).

Back