I didn't like the three pipe look so fitted the shorties, available on ebay for a lot less than you are looking at.
Here is how it looks from both sides, and it is quieter than the cat bypass and tors I took off and also passes the noise regulations.

Interesting point about the tape Doug, I am pretty friendly with the chap who owns the MOT station (both into classic Brit bikes), I will have a chat with him.

I have seen those shorty exhausts and thought they couldn't possibly be quiet, have checked the ad and it quotes 95db with the baffles in, are you saying that the ROADSTER TORS are louder than that? :eek: I know the 3-pipe TORS are very loud if you use the cat bypass - I road tested a Classic with them on and they were way too loud for me.

When you gear down does it pop through the exhaust? If so you might be running to lean. Whenever you add or take away from a motorcycle exhaust you need to change the tune. Talk to your local dealership they suppose to give you the tune for the TORS exhaust for FREE! I didn't use the free tune since I use TuneECU and enriched it up that way.

I bet that bike sounds better than it ever has. The exhaust on these bikes are really restrictive..... mainly the crossover.

Thanks for the info, I think I will keep the cat in place and save $ on the extra noise.. there very slight popping maybe 2 or 3 during the last seconds before stopping, possibly O2 sensor cutting in. The performance is exceptional I was surprised when I did a bit of a burn with a work freind in his flash ute/pickup the rear wheel broke traction for a second on upchange, incredible! and did it growl :D

My Cable arrived today and I have TunePC win 7 intalled so I will have a crack at it after Christmas break, although I am a little nervous because bike is running great as is..I called into dealer and asked about the stock tune but the boss was evasive saying if I make ECU changes the can't touch it, meaning he doesn't want too!
Anyway keeping a close eye and ear on it at the moment :)

Yes I have. I was at PowerTripp performance and Wayne fired up a Roadster with the full Staintune exhaust.

You say that the Roadster version (2 exhausts) of the Statintunes are louder than the Roadster TORs?

That's good to know. On the Standard and Classic models (3 exhausts) the Staintunes are quite a bit more quiet than the TORs. The sound is great and practically goes away at highway cruise. The TORs, on the other hand, have a nasty barking sound to them at highway cruise, imho.

Hi Battersea - I've got the TORS on my R3 and the CAT bypass. They are loud. I look across the Severn Estuary from my house at the North Devon coast and I think you could probably hear my bike start up the other side of the water.

I was a bit worried about the last MOT - spoke to the tester. He said that it was 'the opinion of the tester' whether the bike was too noisy or not or if there was evidence (like the stickers being obvious) about the can noise. He reckoned mine was right on the limit, but he also said that he definately knew other testers who would fail it on noise. Mine have been reprofiled to wind there way through the rear suspension of the trike, so that has added a little bit of length to them so they might be even more noisy than standard I guess. Cheers Ron

Hi Battersea - I've got the TORS on my R3 and the CAT bypass. They are loud. I look across the Severn Estuary from my house at the North Devon coast and I think you could probably hear my bike start up the other side of the water.
I wondered what that noise was coming over from Wales - I thought NASA had moved the Shuttle launch site. :D
.............. He reckoned mine was right on the limit, but he also said that he definitely knew other testers who would fail it on noise...........
Just what I am trying to avoid and thats why I wont be fitting the '3-pipe' TORS and instead looking into fitting Roadster exhausts. Apart from the noise I also much prefer the look of the tucked-in Roadster pipes.

A few days ago I found a YouTube vid of a Roadster fitted with TORS - they sounded just about right, although of course it would be much better to find someone local and have a proper listen. I wanted to post a link to the vid but for the life of me I cant find it now. :(

Edit: triumph rocket roadster with accessory silencers.MOV - YouTube

Sounds like the standard collector is retained. Bike is started about half way through.

Last edited:
I took off the tors and a bypass pipe (not a roadster) and fitted the shorties and can garantee they are quieter.
Here is the bike with the tors/btpass fitted

I took off the tors and a bypass pipe (not a roadster) and fitted the shorties and can garantee they are quieter.

Understand what you mean now and I can believe that your shorties are quieter that the 3-pipe TORS, Ive ridden one with those on. It would seem that the Roadster TORS are quite acceptable with the standard collector in place.

Going by your pics it looks like you have plenty of stunning places to ride to. ;)

Yup! Its amazing what a few glasses of Gluhwine can make you see. Been for my annual health check at the Hospital in Cardiff today so fully fit. Raced a guy on a Pan-European down the M4 for a bit of a laugh on the way so a good day was had by all. Back to your original post in this thread i was wondering about all the US guys thinking WTF is an MOT...!!

Back