HD2Rocket3

.060 Over
I just got my Rivco "tip-over bars" which are basically just bolt-on so I should be able to do it myself. Unfortunately I don't have the tools or facilities to do a lot of stuff. Or know-how for that matter. Anyway, I need a torque wrench to put it on and was hoping someone could recommend one. The beam type looks like the simplest and least expensive with main downside is being able to view it accurately in tight spaces. Thanks, again.

I just got my Rivco "tip-over bars" which are basically just bolt-on so I should be able to do it myself. Unfortunately I don't have the tools or facilities to do a lot of stuff. Or know-how for that matter. Anyway, I need a torque wrench to put it on and was hoping someone could recommend one. The beam type looks like the simplest and least expensive with main downside is being able to view it accurately in tight spaces. Thanks, again.

Find a Cycle World, Rider or other popular motorcycle mag and find the coupon page for Harbor Freight. I believe that they have a current coupon for a 3/8 drive torque wrench for about $20. I have one and it works just fine.

Ditto on the Harbor Freight as a source. Both bar and click stop are good but I'd go for the click stop for convenience and at HF they are $21.99 for 3/8 drive. The 1/4 drive and 1/2 drives are also available at similar prices but I'm guessing your tools are 3/8 drive. You mentioned that you are "know how" challenged...most automotive tools are 3/8 inch drive. This means that the square "drive" end, that plugs into the different size sockets, is 3/8" across. Most 1/4" drives are for aircraft use and 1/2" drives are for diesel work or folks whose knuckles drag the ground when they are upright and straight shouldered.:D If I've gotten too basic I apologize.

Ditto on the Harbor Freight as a source. Both bar and click stop are good but I'd go for the click stop for convenience and at HF they are $21.99 for 3/8 drive. The 1/4 drive and 1/2 drives are also available at similar prices but I'm guessing your tools are 3/8 drive. You mentioned that you are "know how" challenged...most automotive tools are 3/8 inch drive. This means that the square "drive" end, that plugs into the different size sockets, is 3/8" across. Most 1/4" drives are for aircraft use and 1/2" drives are for diesel work or folks whose knuckles drag the ground when they are upright and straight shouldered.:D If I've gotten too basic I apologize.
Thanks, I do have a large passel of 3/8" sockets. It's pretty hard to get too basic for me, though. :)
My fantasy life has changed from women to having a nice big workshop with lifts, tools, heat, AC.....

Yeah, you can't beat Harbor Freight. The click type doesn't require visual reading, just adjust the lbs and torque it till it clicks.

Find a Cycle World, Rider or other popular motorcycle mag and find the coupon page for Harbor Freight. I believe that they have a current coupon for a 3/8 drive torque wrench for about $20. I have one and it works just fine.

Thanks, followed your advice and one is on the way. $17.47 including shipping:)

What about the 3/4" drive? must be to heavy for todays mechanics:D HF offer basic handyman tools not the stuff to buy if you use them 24/7 but good enough for around the house or garage.:)

I agree with you, Dave. Not high quality enough for professional use but perfect for garage clowns like myself.

Thanks, I do have a large passel of 3/8" sockets. It's pretty hard to get too basic for me, though. :)
My fantasy life has changed from women to having a nice big workshop with lifts, tools, heat, AC.....

Passel, hillbilly for a bunch or many; miscellaneous large group, I speak it as well, probably RainMan and STB too.

Back