Need Some Good Torque Wrench Recommendations

The old school sun dial type ones with moving needle are probably not made anymore but many of these are pretty bad as they do not hold the indicated value and unless you can eyeball it while applying a constant load you cannot be sure of the reading. Better are the ones with the graduated knurled nob at the end that you can set the torque required. When that torque is achieved there is an audible click and you stop applying further force.

These are available in a large range of prices but discount auto stores often sell reasonable ones and despite early Chinese versions being crude and low quality most of their stuff is quite good these days. I got mine, a 17 1/2" long, 1/2" drive, 28-210Nm version for less than AUD$50 (US$38) from the local discount ALDI supermarket chain that flogs constantly changing ranges of Chinese hardware along with the groceries. ALDI have a 'no questions asked' full return policy for 30 days after purchase and a 3 year warranty.

They usually come with a sort extension bar and small assortment (17, 19, 21 mm in my case) of sockets in a blown plastic case.

You will need the correct adapters from 1/2" to 1/4" sq drives etc and sometimes smaller torque wrenches for 1/4" drives may be useful but these are likely to be professional quality tools that cost a lot more as they would not be made in in the same quantity.

I have 3 Craftsman clicker type. Two of them are made in USA. Both 3/8 drive. One for inch pounds and one for foot pounds. The 3/8 foot pound wrench goes up to 85 foot pounds. The third one is my newest purchased about 2 years ago and is unfortunately made in Ch. It is 1/2 drive. It goes up to 150 foot pounds. All have lifetime warranty and reasonable priced. The 12 drive I bought to torque 5 bolts on my Porsche. It broke on the 5th bolt. I took it back and got it replaced for free. The replacement has worked flawlessly over the last 2 years.

If you're only going to use it on the rocket look through the manual n find the highest n lowest extremes then try to find a torque wrench that covers those extremes or you will end up needing two of them ;) that will probably be found on a 3/8 drive.
And obviously it would be good to get one that measures in nm's

I have the Lowes' Kobalt 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive clickers. They have a good warranty and seem to work well. Harbor Freight sells very inexpensive ones (not sure about accuracy), but they come with a certification inspection sticker. I also have an old Craftsman pointer type which is probably the most accurate as it does not rely on a spring for reading torque. If you get a clicker type, always unload the wrench buy turning the adjustment down to "0" (to unload the spring) before storing it away. Failing to do so will eventually streach the spring and effect the accuracy.

Well some of the torque wrenches mention so far I would not waste my money on. Some of the above are factory set way out of tolerance. Stay away from the cheap ones. You will be needing two. One light and one heavy if you're going to be wrenching a lot. Armstrong makes several dial types which are in NM and INCH-POUNDS which are dead on with a letter of certification from a private calibration company. They also provide a free calibration good for two years. You can buy the dial type with a alarm light or audio alarm when proper set torque is reached. CDI is a good company for a medium to heavy torque wrench. Well made wrenches and they stay calibrated. Ther clicker types are very good quality and work rather well. I have bought a few of the wrenches mentioned above and have in a short time ended up throwing them as far as a could completely disgusted. Torque wrenches definitely fall into the category of :you pay for what you get: Most of the cheap torque wrenches come with more headaches than they are worth.

Well some of the torque wrenches mention so far I would not waste my money on. Some of the above are factory set way out of tolerance. Stay away from the cheap ones. You will be needing two. One light and one heavy if you're going to be wrenching a lot. Armstrong makes several dial types which are in NM and INCH-POUNDS which are dead on with a letter of certification from a private calibration company. They also provide a free calibration good for two years. You can buy the dial type with a alarm light or audio alarm when proper set torque is reached. CDI is a good company for a medium to heavy torque wrench. Well made wrenches and they stay calibrated. Ther clicker types are very good quality and work rather well. I have bought a few of the wrenches mentioned above and have in a short time ended up throwing them as far as a could completely disgusted. Torque wrenches definitely fall into the category of :you pay for what you get: Most of the cheap torque wrenches come with more headaches than they are worth.

Exactly, I too am from the school "buy once pay once". As I'm not doing wrenching for a living I don't need Snap-On (IMHO overpriced) but still want good quality tho. Something better than Harbor freight but not Snap-On. Harbor Freight has their place and I shop there just not for torque wrenches. Will check your Armstrong and CDI wrenches out. Thanks Sonny!:thumbsup::)

Exactly, I too am from the school "buy once pay once". As I'm not doing wrenching for a living I don't need Snap-On (IMHO overpriced) but still want good quality tho. Something better than Harbor freight but not Snap-On. Harbor Freight has their place and I shop there just not for torque wrenches. Will check your Armstrong and CDI wrenches out. Thanks Sonny!:thumbsup::)

I have a 1/2 drive Warren & Brown brand (made in Australia) deflecting beam Torque wrench that is calibrated in Ftlbs /Nm and Kgm and has had a lot of use over the years on big diesel engines and transmissions and IMHO these wrenches are the most durable (no springs to loose Tension) I also have a Sidchrome brand(before black and decker bought them out)3/8 drive micrometre type wrench for fine work like servo adjustments on auto trans and smaller stuff like the Rocket as stated before buy good quality tools once

I have used my Proto 3/8 drive (inch lbs) and 1/2 drive (ft lbs) many, many times over the past 25 years without any issues.
Recommend them as a mid priced - high quality tools.

Back