Need Some Good Torque Wrench Recommendations

I have used my Proto 3/8 drive (inch lbs) and 1/2 drive (ft lbs) many, many times over the past 25 years without any issues.
Recommend them as a mid priced - high quality tools.

The 3/8 drive wrenches a nicer to use on light work, most only are rated to 100 ft lbs my Warren and Brown deflecting beam wrench is rated to 220 ftlbs "just" good enough for a Mack Cylinder head 50/125 then 220ftlbs torque sequence' my Son has a Neiko Pro 3/4 drive 48'' long torque wrench calibrated 100ftlbs to 700Ftlbs if ever I need one to tighten the plugs on the rocket do not try this at home :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have a 1/2 drive Warren & Brown brand (made in Australia) deflecting beam Torque wrench that is calibrated in Ftlbs /Nm and Kgm and has had a lot of use over the years on big diesel engines and transmissions and IMHO these wrenches are the most durable (no springs to loose Tension) I also have a Sidchrome brand(before black and decker bought them out)3/8 drive micrometre type wrench for fine work like servo adjustments on auto trans and smaller stuff like the Rocket as stated before buy good quality tools once
I have used my Proto 3/8 drive (inch lbs) and 1/2 drive (ft lbs) many, many times over the past 25 years without any issues.
Recommend them as a mid priced - high quality tools.

Totally forgot about them. Do you know who sells them and what type they are? Prolly online I would imagine...thanks:)

I've got all Craftsmen, one half inch drive and two three eighths, one of which is calibrated in inch pounds. Handy for my Suzuki and any clutch whose spring bolts have torque spec'd in inch pounds. You could use a foot pound wrench but you'd probably break the bolts!

Just came across this from Bike Bandit. Called the "digital torque adapter". Just slip it on any rachet/socket and the small digital box will give you correct torque. It also has an LED and alarm when set torque is reached. It also records torque attained. Comes in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 size and is only $39. Anyone use one?

Proto-6001PB.jpg

This frequently used Proto is over 30 years old. It is a 6001PB model, 3/8 drive and in inch pounds from 10 to 200.
I also have a 1/2 drive in foot pounds that is used much less frequently.

Me thinks this would be the current version:

I have more than 40 years of bikes mechanics behind me and I have never had a torque wrench !
You can only go to the physics of the thing : a torque T is the product of a force F and length for moment arm
if F is perpendicular to the arm .
I use a little thingy for checking the luggage weight than you can find in any shop in airport . Its range is from 0 to 40 kg
I made a notch on my cliquet wrench at 25 cm from rotation point and , if when I pull the thingy to 36 kg ( for exemple)
with an angle of 90° with the wrench , i know that I have a torque of 36/4 = 9 kg.m !
And the thingy is arount 10 to 15 euros !
And you can use this for calibrating your expensive torque wrench

I have more than 40 years of bikes mechanics behind me and I have never had a torque wrench !
You can only go to the physics of the thing : a torque T is the product of a force F and length for moment arm
if F is perpendicular to the arm .
I use a little thingy for checking the luggage weight than you can find in any shop in airport . Its range is from 0 to 40 kg
I made a notch on my cliquet wrench at 25 cm from rotation point and , if when I pull the thingy to 36 kg ( for exemple)
with an angle of 90° with the wrench , i know that I have a torque of 36/4 = 9 kg.m !
And the thingy is arount 10 to 15 euros !
And you can use this for calibrating your expensive torque wrench
something like equal to a shorter cheater pipe?

Back