To much bike for a second bike?

The Indian Scout is a nice bike and plenty quick. It will be easier to handle and cheaper to operate but is not terribly comfortable in my opinion, I know because we had one. The TS 111 bikes are much more comfortable but very heavy and more costly.

The Rocket is like no other bike out there in a class all its own. It is a monster of weight and power but is comfortable and quite easy to ride except is ponderous at slow speeds. All bikes need to be respected but this thing very fast. With right hand control it will putter around like a kitten but of you thwack her she’ll stretch your arms and get into trouble in a hurry.

All that said I have no use for a Scout, it’s a toy to me. The Rocket is a real top notch machine and an adrenaline rush. I generally would not recommend this bike to a very young man advising you work you way up but if you can exercise maturity past your years then it would be a fun ride. You choose and live with it, hopefully.;)

Sorry if I sound like a condescending old fart, but I am 59 years old with 49 years of experience on motorcycles.:D Ride safe my young friend.:thumbsup:

Nah mate not an old fart just experienced.

I want everyone's opinion because although I feel that I am mature we all like the rush of full throttle.

The rocket 3 is a bike that I have been fascinated with since the day I saw it. Think a test ride would be the best bet for me to see if I could really live with riding ontop of such a beat especially because of my age. 3 years of commuting is nothing compared to someone with 49 years of experience under their belt.

The Rocket is all about attitude. Don't let it scare you, but give it the respect it deserves.

If you have any flaws in your riding skills you will know soon enough at slow speeds.

You have to know how to use the friction zone and understand reverse steering and know that the front brake is for stopping and the back brake is for control.

The weight shows up at slow speeds and when exiting corners.

If you want to get on a bike that you can do 400+ miles a day this is your bike. 100 miles is like a ride around the block.

If you just like to pop around town or do short ride this is not the bike you want.

G'day and welcome - you will be tempted to get shorter than stock suspension - don't, it makes a harsh ride and decreases handling steering turn in which youi will find worse after your ultra light sport bike.

You will likely need a modified seat or platform heels to reduce the tippy toes with such a heavy bike.

There was a factory Low seat long out of production now. I have one still in my shed. New with a flash Triumph badge added.

LOWRIDER SEAT - RIDER A9701151
upload_2019-5-24_13-31-11.png

I tried the Lowrider our after attaching the badges with shoe sole contact cement so they will not be coming adrift. This seat feels REALLY low to me especially compared to my Russell DayLong. Photos with Utopia backrest fitted and RIVCO rack as well.

Yes big thunderstorm today - the bike is filthy!

P1050554.JPG
P1050555.JPG
P1050556.JPG
P1050565.JPG
P1050566.JPG

Yamaha YZF-R3
Top speed 180 km/h (110 mph) (Estimated)[1] 166 km/h (103 mph)[2]
Power 31 kW (42 hp) @ 10,750 rpm (claimed)[3] 27.4 kW (36.7 hp) @ 10,750 rpm (rear wheel)[2]
Torque 21.8 lb⋅ft (29.6 N⋅m) @ 9,000 rpm (claimed)[3] 19.8 lb⋅ft (26.8 N⋅m) @ 9,100 rpm (rear wheel)[2]
Rake, trail 25°, 95 mm (3.7 in)
Wheelbase 1,380 mm (54 in)
Dimensions L: 2,090 mm (82 in)
W: 720 mm (28 in)
H: 1,135 mm (44.7 in)
Seat height 780 mm (31 in)
Weight 167 kg (368 lb)[4] (wet)

Rocket III

Top speed 145 mph (233 km/h)[1]
Power 127.1 hp (94.8 kW)
(rear wheel)[1]
148 hp (110 kW)@ 5,750 rpm (claimed)[2]
Torque 144.6 lb⋅ft (196.1 N⋅m)
(rear wheel)[1]
163 lb⋅ft (221 N⋅m)@ 2,750 rpm (claimed)[2]
Wheelbase 1,695 mm (66.7 in)
Dimensions L: 2,500 mm (98 in)
W: 970 mm (38 in)
Seat height 740 mm (29 in)
Weight 797 lb (362 kg)[1] (wet)

Welcome.

I am 5-8 - 83-85 Kg. Inside leg 31" ---- I did not need lower suspension. And if anything mine now sits higher and the seat is another 6mm higher too.

I made a similar (for it's day) jump when I was young. CJ250T Honda to a Guzzi 850T3. With hindsight - an intermediate step would have been sensible.

tbh - I am glad the R3 was NOT about when I started riding. Because I'd be dead. That simple.
Had mine now 9 years, and every so often it still gives me a poke in the ribs - just to remind me it's not a sports bike.

The R3 has (compared to the YZF) a lazy chassis. Take time to realise this.
Unless already modified - the Stock suspension is pretty dire. You'll see within 100kms or so.
The throttle is addictive. Just try (hard when young) to control Hubris.
Some of the larger fellas - can maybe boss it about a bit - but believe me - at our size and weight - If you try to make it do what it feels non-inclined to do it will fight back.

I always say - The R3 is like a bear. Treat it gently and you have a Fluffy Teddy. Mistreat it and it will maul you like a peeved Grizzly.

I am now 59 - over 40 years in the saddle. I am still learning. The day that stops - so will I.

Not saying don't - just saying that your Mum and Dad would probably like to have you about a year or two more. My mum still would like me to stop!.

I have been riding since the 70s and had all sorts of bikes but the one thing I found when I bought my 1st Rocket (on my 3rd) was forget everything I ever did before on a bike, the Rocket has it's own rules.

When you go for a corner, a manoeuvre or whatever, you are committed because Rocket's don't like changing their mind (IMHO) but once you get used to them, MY GOD!!! there is nothing like it to put a grin on your face!! I feel like Rossi passing Lorenzo every time I ride it :thumbsup:

Take it steady, get used to it, you will do fine! But ALWAYS respect it or it will bite you.

get the r3, nothing else comes close to the feeling when riding it
ive got 3 bikes, and very rarely ride any of the other 2

go for it, but respect it. treat it bad and it will scare the **** out of you :thumbsup:

For me, the most difficult to work with is the throttle control at shallow settings coming out of a turn. Unlike the Valkyrie, the Rocket is jerky. If you exit the turn with zero throttle and go to apply some power, be careful. I try to go through the turn with the throttle and the rear brake on in slow corners.

I have never ridden a sport bike like the R3. My son won't let me ride his RSV4.

IMG_0034.JPG

Ahhh… and get a backrest so you don't fly out the back of the seat :eek:

Back