Tire mileage continued...

Chip

Turbocharged
Ride
08 Rocket Touring, 15 Rocket Touring
I bought my 2008 R3T with 4,000 miles back in 2011. The bike had Metz on the front and rear. Both were changed just over 5,000. I bought another set. Same thing. Poor handling, and 5,000 miles. I thought about selling the bike, expensive just with rubber alone! Then I read one of the many articles on our sight.
The info I read talked about the Michelin Commander II. Unfortunately Michelin didn't make a direct replacement for the front. Joe suggested trying the Elite 3.
I've ran this combonation since. Yesterday while I was detailing the bike I went over my maintence logs. I couldn't believe the tire Millage.
Front tire is still not touching the wear bars in the tread. 40% tread left . 21,000 miles on the tire!
Rear tire is starting cup a little. 17,000 miles !

These numbers are repeatable if ride like a flat lander. Too much of Maggie Valley roads would seriously reduce these numbers. Are others finding this improvement on tires?

I don't really keep track, , but itjink the Avon's get near double what I got on the Metz, which was even less than you. Rear cupping
seems odd, everything cups on my Touring on the front, eventually, never had any sign of it on the back, and I took tires down to steel showing twice. I'm also a flatlander, but ride like an idiot.

Last edited:
I bought my 2008 R3T with 4,000 miles back in 2011. The bike had Metz on the front and rear. Both were changed just over 5,000. I bought another set. Same thing. Poor handling, and 5,000 miles. I thought about selling the bike, expensive just with rubber alone! Then I read one of the many articles on our sight.
The info I read talked about the Michelin Commander II. Unfortunately Michelin didn't make a direct replacement for the front. Joe suggested trying the Elite 3.
I've ran this combonation since. Yesterday while I was detailing the bike I went over my maintence logs. I couldn't believe the tire Millage.
Front tire is still not touching the wear bars in the tread. 40% tread left . 21,000 miles on the tire!
Rear tire is starting cup a little. 17,000 miles !

These numbers are repeatable if ride like a flat lander. Too much of Maggie Valley roads would seriously reduce these numbers. Are others finding this improvement on tires?
I got 11000+ On my Metez and had many miles to go but replaced for better handling combo

I usually get a few thousand miles. Rear tyre is cupping on the R3 and also cupped on the Pan European I had. I put down to fast cornering :)
On the blade the front would cup probably because it was jacked at the back
In all scenarios no grip issues just lots of smiles.

I don't really keep track, , but itjink the Avon's get near double what I got on the Metz, which was even less than you. Rear cupping
seems odd, everything cups on my Touring on the front, eventually, never had any sign of it on the back, and I took tires down to steel showing twice. I'm also a flatlander, but ride like an idiot.
I laughed when I read your response . Not AT you, but thinking how I always believed I pushed it a little, maybe a lot. Then last time in the mountains at Maggie Valley I rode a half day with Warp 9. I found out what a flat lander really does... I spent the day chasing a much better rider than I am. He spent 1/2 the day stopped waiting for me to catch up.

82CF112A-4115-487C-9CE5-51CAA0168A01.JPG C85044C2-315B-494B-B37A-1A1F63A3D801.JPG Exedra 10k

[QUOTE="..........Are others finding this improvement on tires?[/QUOTE]

NO! I guess it depends where you ride and just how you ride. I'm near Maggie Valley, so the terrain and road surface is part of it. I get about 4-4.5k miles from a tire. Dunlops on the front and Exedra Max on the rear. If your corner hard or enjoy the torque these bikes eat tires for breakfast. I've just learned to accept it.

My next front tire will be Michelin Road 5 Rear Motorcycle Tire 150/70ZR-17 (69W) (reversed orientation) as recommended by @1olbull. I'm probably mounting it this weekend. The tread on this tire is incredibly deep, so hoping to get another thousand or so- we'll see.

Back