Ron

Air Cav!
Ride
2013 Rocket III Touring
I have found a great price for a 180/65-16 rear tire for my 2013 RIII touring. Does anybody know if the drop from a 70 to a 65 will affect how the tire fits on the bike? Clearance shouldn't be a problem, but...better safe than sorry! I know that the drop in size will cause about a 2mph error on the speedometer, but is there anything else I should be aware of? I bought the bike new in 2014 and only have 7k+ miles on the tires that are on it, but it has been sitting for a few years (****ed cancer treatments!!) and I am worried about rot in the original tires. Done with treatments, outcome good, time for some wind therapy!

You will notice it when steering around a corner, that's the major thing. And maybe during emergency brake

Good call on new tires. Congrats on kicking ass and enjoy your "Road Therapy"...
-MIG

Congratulations on beating the cancer.

Changing the tyre diameter may affect the ABS. I am not sure how much variation is allowed before an error code pops up.

It will work just fine, there are some things you might notice in handling but not significant enough to cause a safety issue. Just to be clear the difference in aspect ratio is only 5% (70% to a 65%) so the tire wall height goes from 126mm to 117mm. That 9mm change isn't major. As far as fitting to your rim, as long as your rim is a 16 inch it should be fine.

From the web:
The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be.

Back