This is per page 111 of the owners handbook. No mention of 17's to be found!
The Metzlers were pure crap for wear on my Touring. They just seemed to melt away fast. Switched to Cobras and got 3 times the miles out of them. Just put a set of Chromes on prior to a trip to Minnesota from Washington State and back I took a couple weeks ago. The Chromes are supposed to get even better mileage.

The Metzlers were pure crap for wear on my Touring. They just seemed to melt away fast. Switched to Cobras and got 3 times the miles out of them. Just put a set of Chromes on prior to a trip to Minnesota from Washington State and back I took a couple weeks ago. The Chromes are supposed to get even better mileage.
Where did you buy your Chromes? I have seen a large range in prices for them online! Thnx!

Are you talking about Cobra Chromes or Meltzer's because if it's the Metzler's then Hell no! :thumbsup:
Stock tire sizes, maybe. I believe triumph went to a variety of tire manufacturers with the size the wanted and went with the company that could offer them an okay performance at the best price point. Chromes are now the tire of choice on the new model!

Stock tire sizes, maybe. I believe triumph went to a variety of tire manufacturers with the size the wanted and went with the company that could offer them an okay performance at the best price point. Chromes are now the tire of choice on the new model!
From what I read the Chromes were made specifically for the 2020 Rocket. They are pretty awesome tires but to each his own.

Where did you buy your Chromes? I have seen a large range in prices for them online! Thnx!
I bought one from American Motorcycle tire in Arizona and the other from Rocky Mountain ATV in Colorado. You're right the prices range quite a bit. These two had the best prices I could find and even they varied between back and front. I bought black walls. Not sure if the whitewalls were more or less at either place. Both places were free shipping and were here in a couple days. You will be much happier with the Avons compared to the Metzlers. Hope this helps.

I just mounted a Shinko 777HD 180/65-16 on my R3T. It replaced an Excedra Max that was very done. Front tire is still an Excedra Max as it doesn’t appear to need replaced yet.
I’ve only 30 miles on it so far, but it seems to ride nice so far. About 5mph slow at 60; but whatever - I’m not too worried with ripping around anymore.
I’m playing with pressures too. Today’s trip to work was at 35 cold, tomorrow I’ll bump it up to about 38 cold; then 40 & 42.

My experience with Rocket III Touring tires started with the Meltzer factory tires. They were terrible. I went to Michelin Commander 2. Far superior in performance and life. Great tires. The Michelin 2’s don’t make a 180-70-16 rear. 185-70-16 is close but slightly Shorter. I’ve changed the last tires to Dunlop Elite 4’s. The rear is 200-70-16, and the front is 150-80-16. The key is your style of riding. I’m heavy, and I ride a lot with my wife. The 200 series is a good idea for me. Your tires have to fit your needs. My opinion is that the newer models are composite rubber, and give the rider a softer edge for corners, and harder tread for mileage. This change makes for superior performance.

I just mounted a Shinko 777HD 180/65-16 on my R3T. It replaced an Exedra Max that was very done. Front tire is still an Excedra Max as it doesn’t appear to need replaced yet.
I’ve only 30 miles on it so far, but it seems to ride nice so far. About 5mph slow at 60; but whatever - I’m not too worried with ripping around anymore.
I’m playing with pressures too. Today’s trip to work was at 35 cold, tomorrow I’ll bump it up to about 38 cold; then 40 & 42.
I just bought a used 2008 r3T and it came with an Exedra Max radial on the back and Metzeler ME 888 bias ply on the front and the guy gave me a brand new Exedra Max for the front Bias 150/80/-16 M/C 71H, both tires needed replaced so I started looking for a back Exedra Max 180/70-16 and couldn't find that size in a bias tire, they have it in a radial? So perplexed I started to investigate and found the Bridgestone Exedra Max tire's were recalled because they couldn't handle the weight torque requirements of the Rocket I guess that's when they went to Metzeler and Avon which I call Triumph and that was their recommendation. I also called Bridgestone and asked them to recommend a back tire for the R3T and he just said Bridgestone doesn't make a tire for that bike???? I remember reading an old post on here about the recall I think it was in 09 the tire's were disintegrating from the inside out. So I bought 2 new Metzelers, so far so good, I'm sleeping a lot better, had the shop do everything order and install about $900, my pocket is hurting, but I'm really happy with the 2008 R3T I just bought, I have the New front Bridgestone Exedra Max 150/80/-16 M/C 71H listed on Facebook and craigslist if anybody's interested half price $75. I'm thinking I should just through it out, I see you can still buy it??? I don't know for what???? Maybe a paper weight. HaHaHa. If I were you I would investigate Bridgestone before putting them on, its a heavy high torque bike, be careful better safe than sorry.

I thought when I test drove the bike it shook a little in the steering in the turns, I even asked the guy about it, it only has 45,000 miles on it, but I bought it anyway. Before I took the first Cruise, I checked the tire pressure, 22psi in front, and 25 in back, and that's when I noticed 2 different tire manufacturer's Metzeler and Bridgestone and the bias and radial mix, put air in the tire's pretty quick, and that was 90% better ride, but still worried about the Bridgestone and mixture problem, had tire's on order, but took it really easy until I got them replaced. sleeping a lot better today, I like the Metzelers, hope I get at least 10,000 out of them, I'm 59 and take it easy now. you have to, and my manual say's 36psi front, 42psi back, seems good, I weigh 300lb.s so I won't go less than that, the front seems a little low over bumps but good around curves. But Good luck with whatever you do, if I find where I read about the exedra's I'll repost it here. Have a Great Day!!!!

Last edited:
Back