Time for a New Rear Tire. Suggestions?

HD2Rocket3

.060 Over
I have a 2007 R3 Classic with about 9000 miles. It still has the original rear tire but I don't think there's much life left in it. I am going to be taking it in for its 10,000 mile service and will replace the rear tire while it's there. I am wondering - what do you suggest as a replacement? Looking for something that will last but also something that might improve cornering, I like to ride in the mountains a lot. Reading through some of the threads on here, it doesn't seem like Metzelers are too popular. THANKS!!

With snow already on the ground here, it looks like I'll have to wait to try the new Avon Cobra that's been almost universally touted as a great tire.

Of course, some will extoll the benefits of going with a car tire (dark side)... high milage for low cost being a top consideration.

I have an 07 classic also. I started with the Metz, had the darkside for 22,000, now I'm on Avons, front and rear. I'm gonna stick with the Avons.

I appreciate it. Do you usually get them through the shop were you get the work done (assuming you don't do it yourself) or do you buy them somewhere else and give them the tires to mount? Any suggestions on where to get the best prices to order tires off the internet? Thanks again!

I have bought tires both ways, but get the best price by buying them online.

I did a write -up about it on this site just recently.

Les than half price of the dealer cost after you consider the cost of the tires, tax (none), shipping (none) and installation.

BikeBandit had the pair for $265. I paid about $110 at a local shop to have them installed.

The tire change was still about half the price of new Metz at the Dealer ($375 vs $665).

22 thousand miles later and only $94 invested, my Riken Raptor 225/55/16 still looks new. Handles, starts and stops better than the Metz.

Come down to Fredericksburg and see for yourself.

The Dunlop doesn't appear available for the Standard or Classic.. the Touring has skinnier tires. Looks like lots of folks like them, though. They're bias tires??

Back