steve59

Nitrous
Ride
2016 KTM 1290 SDR SE. 2012 K1600 GTL Schwinn S-30
So Triumph has put all of it's eggs into the p-16. They came out with 2 more models this year and the phantom harley sightings were triumph using the big p-twin with the road king body! Why should this frustrate me, i'm not going to buy an LT for the same price as a R3t. I don't get it. The bird is an easy, forgiving, and more conventional cruiser but the rocket is a beast! this is the "you can have your cake and eat it too" bike!!! so,wtf more rocket choices please, Triumph can figure it out,

We need at least 3 forms of the R3. Roadster sporty bike, Light Tour cruiser, and full blown Cross Country with all the bells and whistles (Goldwing style). Oh, and enough of this copying the H-D lines for the bags, controls, gages and mirrors. Remember your signature phrase Triumph. "Go your own way."

So Triumph has put all of it's eggs into the p-16. They came out with 2 more models this year and the phantom harley sightings were triumph using the big p-twin with the road king body! Why should this frustrate me, i'm not going to buy an LT for the same price as a R3t. I don't get it. The bird is an easy, forgiving, and more conventional cruiser but the rocket is a beast! this is the "you can have your cake and eat it too" bike!!! so,wtf more rocket choices please, Triumph can figure it out,

Exactly ,I cannot find a reason that Triumph have decided to go with the Small thunderbird platform for their Cruiser/Touring model, A friend of mine asked why I bought the R3T instead of the Thunderbird saying the Thunderbird was lighter and more agile and just as fast? ,I used a line that I have used in replying why I have a 460 powered F100, and my wife drives a V8 Landcruiser as a family car when a Nissan Navara can do the same job,I say when you go into McDonalds do you buy a Big Mac or a Cheese Burger, I just like having the biggest Gun in town!

Sorry but I personally think Triumphs Thunderbird is just another 'run of the mill' cruiser , not unlike so many others. As far as handling goes who buys any cruiser for it's dynamic handling ability. As far as torque goes .. I seriously doubt the T'Bird would come near the RIII.. and let's face it's the torques where the smiles come from.

Last edited:
Thunderbird's actually not lighter, more agile and just as fast as a Rocket. People who say this will not have ridden a Rocket and are parroting someone else's inaccurate assumption. It's almost as heavy, no more agile and is slower.
Ive had a ride on the 1600 version and the 1700 storm and would totally agree its almost as heavy has nowhere near the same torque infact it is guttless in comparison but i disagree on the agility i think the bird takes that crown . Infact im fairly sure it was best handling cruiser a couple of years running. overall the rocket ****s all over its *****y little ass

Actually I do agree on the handling. I was real impressed with the T'Birds I rode a few years ago. I still say though, that once you're used to a Rocket you can ride it just as fast anywhere as any cruiser, including a T'Bird.

When i bought my Roadster i also considered the Storm , that is until i sat on it and it was very uncomfortable , way to low in the saddle with the majortiy of my weight on the boney part of my arse , didnt even bother asking for a test ride.

Back